This Buffalo Chicken Dip with blue cheese is one of my favorite sharing dishes! This appetizer is full of the classic buffalo wing flavor we know and love, in a bold and spicy party dip! Easy and quick to make and packed with rotisserie chicken, this will be that star of your next gathering!
When it comes to appetizers, Buffalo Chicken Dip with blue cheese is an absolute staple! It combines all the flavors of buffalo wings —the hot sauce, chicken, and blue cheese— and packs them into an irresistible and addicting dip that can be served hot or cold. Plus, it’s a cinch to put together. You simply can’t go wrong! This particular version of Buffalo Chicken Dip is perfect for those who love the flavor of buffalo wings, but are looking for an appetizer on the lighter side. Greek yogurt and light cream cheese give this dip so much creaminess while making it a wholesome and healthier appetizer!
Buffalo Chicken Dip with Blue Cheese: Ingredients
The ingredient list for this Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe is quite short! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cooked chicken: To make life easy, grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and shred it up. Cooked chicken breasts or chicken thighs also work well for this recipe. Poaching the chicken or cooking it in the Instant Pot or slow cooker are simple ways to yield tender chicken that will easily shred.
- Cream cheese: Light or reduced fat cream cheese gives this dip so much creaminess while saving some calories and fat.
- Plain Greek yogurt: Wholesome Greek yogurt takes the place of the ranch or blue cheese dressing typically found in buffalo chicken dip recipes. Both whole milk or nonfat Greek yogurt work well, but just make sure it’s plain.
- Hot sauce: The star ingredient! Frank’s RedHot is a favorite brand but any type of hot sauce will work!
- Crumbled blue cheese: An absolute requirement for buffalo chicken. Am I right? Stir it into the dip and reserve some crumbles to sprinkle on top. They’ll melt into the dip and ensure that each bite contains tangy blue cheese flavor!
- Seasonings: Garlic powder and onion powder give this dip an extra kick of flavor reminiscent of ranch seasoning.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip with Blue Cheese
This Buffalo Chicken Dip is one of the easiest appetizers to prepare! All you need is one big bowl to stir the ingredients together. Once mixed, you have the option to serve the dip hot or cold. Each version will give you the same buffalo chicken flavor! For the cold option, store the dip in the refrigerator until ready to serve. If you’d like to mimic the flavor of buffalo wings hot out of the oven, simply transfer the dip to an oven-safe dish, sprinkle some extra blue cheese on top, and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Dip
The great thing about this dip is that it pairs well with just about any crunchy veggie, cracker, or chip. For a light and healthy appetizer, serve the dip with a platter of colorful veggies. Here are a few pairing suggestions:
- Veggies: carrots, celery, bell pepper, radishes, jicama, broccoli, and cauliflower
- Crackers: pita chips are a favorite, but this dip will go well with any cracker.
- Chips: tortilla chips and fritos, especially the scoop-shaped varieties, are great options.
More serving ideas
Aside from simply serving the dip with veggies and crackers, there are so many other yummy ways to enjoy this Buffalo Chicken Dip. It’s fun to get creative with this dip and use it as a filling or spread! Here are 5 delicious ideas:
- Stuffed zucchini or peppers: Use the dip as a filling to stuff inside zucchini or mini peppers.
- Quesadillas: Spread a layer of dip and shredded cheese between 2 tortillas.
- Pizza: Spread a layer of dip on a pizza crust, top with cheese and any other favorite pizza toppings.
- Egg rolls: Use the dip as an egg roll filling. Serve with ranch for dipping!
- Sandwiches or lettuce wraps: Make the ultimate buffalo chicken sandwich or lettuce wrap!Slider buns, naan, traditional bread, or lettuce all work well!
Shredded Chicken Dip Recipe
This recipe uses shredded, cooked chicken in it, and I highly recommend you use a rotisserie chicken for this. It’s a much quicker, easier, and often cheaper alternative to cooking your own chicken. The shredded chicken adds a great texture to the creamy dip and makes it a much heartier appetizer.
A Healthy Dip Recipe
Creamy dips are often loaded with calories, but one serving of this buffalo chicken dip with blue cheese comes in at under 130 calories! With a few easy swaps (that no one will notice!) you can drastically reduce the calories and fat content.
Be sure to use a low fat cream cheese, and the blue cheese has so much flavor, you really don’t need to use much. You get protein from the chicken and greek yogurt and be sure to serve with a tonne of fresh veggies!
Top tips for making Buffalo Chicken Dip with Blue Cheese
- You can mix all the ingredients of the dip together and keep it covered in the fridge for a couple of hours. Just pop it in the oven when your guests arrive for a hot dip.
- The dip can also be served cold.
- Use low fat cream cheese and greek yogurt to reduce fat and calorie content.
- Top the hot dip with scallions for a pretty dip to serve guests.
- Use a rotisserie chicken to save time!
Be sure to check out these other chicken recipes that are perfect for a party!
If you have tried this buffalo chicken dip with blue cheese recipe, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 8 ounces light cream cheese softened
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup hot sauce like Frank’s RedHot sauce
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Chopped green onion
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish.
- Top with extra blue cheese crumbles.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve with carrot sticks, celery sticks, pita chips, crackers, etc