Grilled Chicken Sandwiches are the best when they’re made just right! Marinated chicken is grilled to juicy perfection in this recipe, served on the bun of your choice, and topped with all the right fixings. With this tried and true recipe, everyone who owns a grill will be able to master this sandwich in no time!
What’s in this Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe
You can customize this easy chicken sandwich recipe with whatever toppings you’d like. Extra cheese for me, please!
- Chicken Breasts: You can use thighs instead of breasts if you’d like, but breasts are the most common cut of meat when making chicken sandwiches.
- Olive Oil: A good quality extra virgin olive oil is recommended for the best flavor for the marinade.
- Lemon Juice: Use fresh lemon juice, not bottled!
- Garlic: Fresh garlic will create much better flavor than the pre-minced stuff.
- Salt and Pepper: Be careful not to add too much salt! As for the pepper, freshly cracked will taste the best.
- Dried Herbs: Thyme and oregano create the best subtle herbaceous flavor.
PRO TIP: Marinate the chicken for 3-24 hours for the best results. If you’re short on time, even just 30 minutes will do wonders, though!
Variations to Try
- Buns: Use your family’s favorite buns or sandwich rolls. These would be great on brioche or ciabatta buns.
- Condiments: While I recommend serving these sandwiches with the classics, like mayo and mustard, you can kick them up a notch by using homemade mayo or adding sriracha, hot sauce, or barbecue sauce!
- Toppings: Classic toppings are great, but you could also change it up and add avocado, guacamole, pico de gallo, onion rings, pesto sauce, or really any other toppings you can think of!
Yes, you can. Place the breasts on a baking sheet and bake in a 375°F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until 165°F internally. Truthfully, you can also cook these chicken breasts on the stovetop in a grill pan or cast iron pan as well.
30 minutes is adequate, but ideally at least 3 or up to 24 hours. The longer you marinate chicken, the better and more flavorful it becomes!
These grilled chicken sandwiches are pretty versatile and pair well with any cheese you prefer!
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover grilled chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in the microwave or in a 350°F oven until 165°F internally, then assemble the sandwiches. I do not recommend storing fully-assembled sandwiches, as the toppings and bun can become mushy.
How to Freeze
Freeze grilled chicken breasts in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating and assembling sandwiches.
More Chicken Sandwiches:
- Napa Almond Chicken Salad
- Chicken Sloppy Joes
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- Fried Chicken Sandwich
- BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- See all of our Chicken Sandwich Recipes!
Grilled Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
For the Chicken
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin preferred
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Sandwiches
- 4 sandwich rolls
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 1 tomato sliced
- 4 pieces leafy lettuce
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup mustard
- With a knife parallel to the work surface, cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally, creating 4 thin breasts. If necessary, place the breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound each to about ½-inch thickness using a meat mallet or a rolling pin.2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper in a large Ziplock bag. Add the chicken, seal the bag, and gently massage the marinade into the meat. Place the bag in the refrigerator and marinate for 3-24 hours.¼ cup olive oil, 1 lemon, 2 cloves garlic, 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, ½ teaspoon dried oregano, ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- When ready to cook, oil the grates of a grill and preheat it to high. Grill the chicken breasts for 2-3 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reached 165°F.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate to rest for 10 minutes, then build sandwiches on rolls with your favorite toppings and serve.4 slices cheddar cheese, 8 slices cooked bacon, 1 tomato, 4 pieces leafy lettuce, ¼ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup mustard, 4 sandwich rolls
- Feel free to use boneless, skinless thighs in place of the breasts.
- Marinate the chicken for 3-24 hours for the best results. If you’re short on time, even just 30 minutes will do wonders, though!
- Don’t be afraid to pound the chicken pieces to ½-inch thickness. This will allow the chicken to cook more evenly.
- Watch the chicken carefully and take it off the heat at 165°F. Overcooked chicken can become rubbery and unpleasant.
- To get picture-perfect grill marks, make sure your grill is preheated to 350-450°F before adding the chicken.
- Let the grilled chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving and/or cutting. This will help keep the juices in!
- Use your family’s favorite buns or sandwich rolls. These would be great on brioche or ciabatta buns.
- While I recommend serving these sandwiches with the classics, like mayo and mustard, you can kick them up a notch by using homemade mayo or adding sriracha, hot sauce, or barbecue sauce!
- Classic toppings are great, but you could also change it up and add avocado, guacamole, pico de gallo, onion rings, pesto sauce, or really any other toppings you can think of!