This grilled BBQ chicken recipe will result in flavorsome and succulent chicken every time! This whole chicken recipe is quick and easy to make and is a real crowd pleaser!
If you’re planning a cookout for a crowd this summer, this is the perfect recipe for you! In just 30minutes, you can cook a succulent whole chicken and serve it alongside your favorite sides!
Table of Contents
How to Make This Grilled BBQ Chicken Recipe
- Preheat grill.
- Coat both sides of the chicken in the spice rub.
- Grill the chicken. (NOTE: You can use an outdoor or indoor grill!)
- Baste in BBQ sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
(See the recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.)
What kind of chicken is best for grilling?
The beauty about this grilled BBQ chicken recipe, is that it uses the whole chicken, so it’s sure to please even the pickiest of crowds – everyone will get their favorite piece!
A 3-4 pound chicken will serve eight people, so chose a bigger chicken if you have more guests. Always buy the freshest chicken you can, preferably organic that hasn’t been raised on antibiotics.
How hot should the grill be?
As with all grilling, the grill should be preheated before you cook the chicken. Set the heat to medium, around 425-450ºf and cook the chicken for around 15 to 20 minutes until its internal temperature reads 165ºf.
What do you serve with Grilled BBQ Chicken?
This grilled chicken is best served with all of your favorite sides. Check out these recipes for inspiration:
Juicy Grilled Chicken
The key to the perfect juicy BBQ Chicken is cooking to the correct temperature! Use a food thermometer easily check when your chicken is cooked through. Here is our favorite (affiliate link).
More Top Tips to Make Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Use organic chicken that hasn’t been raised on antibiotics.
- Check out this video to see how to cut up a whole chicken.
- Use your favorite bbq sauce for this recipe or try this homemade version.
- Let the chicken sit for a few minutes before serving it.
- You can make this recipe year round! Just use an indoor grill pan on the stovetop.
- Fiesta Lime Chicken
- Huli Huli Chicken
- Grilled Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
- Grilled Balsamic Chicken
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Bruschetta Chicken
If you have tried this easy grilled BBQ chicken, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Grilled BBQ Chicken
- 3-4 lbs whole chicken cut in pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- Preheat grill over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, pepper, allspice, and salt. Season all sides of the chicken pieces with the spice rub.
- Grill 8 minutes, flip, and cook 6-8 minutes more until lightly charred but not yet cooked through.
- Using a basting brush, coat each piece of chicken in barbecue sauce. Continue grilling, turning and basting with barbecue sauce often, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 more minutes.
- When cooked through, the thickest part of the thigh will register 165°.