This simple Grilled Chicken Breast recipe is seriously the best you will try! Coated in spices, it’s so perfectly juicy and charred. Get all my top tips and learn how to grill the most amazing chicken!
What’s in this Grilled Chicken Breast Recipe?
Summer is here and that means it’s time to get your grill on! This grilled chicken breast is so wonderfully flavorful and juicy, it simply must make an appearance at your next cookout!
- Spices: Kosher salt, ground pepper, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder give this chicken a fresh, slightly spicy flavor that pairs well with almost anything!
- Olive Oil: Helps the spices stick to the chicken and helps the chicken cook without burning or sticking to the grill.
- Chicken Breasts: I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you can use bone-in, skin-on if you prefer. They will take longer to cook.
- Lime Juice: Adds a touch of acidity to balance out the fattiness of the oil.
Pro Tip: Make sure that the chicken is at room temperature before adding it to the grill. This will help it cook more evenly.
Variations on Chicken Breast on the Grill
You can change up the flavor of this chicken by changing up the seasonings. Dried parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme all pair really well with chicken. Coriander, oregano, and smoked paprika are also delish!
Depending on the size of your breasts, it will take about 15 minutes total to grill these. I always recommend using an instant-read thermometer to ensure they are properly cooked.
If you don’t have an outdoor grill, you can cook this chicken in a grill pan on the stovetop. You can also bake the chicken in a preheated oven at 400°F for around 20 to 25 minutes.
One serving is about 325 calories.
This chicken is best served straight off of the grill, but you can get ahead of things by seasoning the chicken. Keep it covered in the fridge for up to a day. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. I like to slice it up and add it to salads for easy lunches.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover chicken breasts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a skillet set over medium-low heat for the best results.
How to Freeze
Freeze chicken breasts in an airtight container or Ziplock bag for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
These chicken breasts go with just about anything. I love them with rice, potato salad, or pasta salad. They’re also yummy as filling for a sandwich, fajita, or quesadilla. Or slice them up and add them to a salad! My personal favorite is a Mexican street corn chicken salad.
Grilled Chicken Breast Recipe
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Fresh lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine the salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder in a small dish. Drizzle the olive oil and rub the seasoning over the chicken breasts, coating them entirely.½ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Once heated, place the chicken on the grill and cook for about 15 minutes total, flipping halfway through. Before serving, squeeze fresh lime juice over the chicken and finish with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro.Fresh lime juice, Chopped fresh cilantro
- Make sure that the chicken is at room temperature before adding it to the grill. This will help it cook more evenly.
- The cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of your breasts. The best way to check that the chicken is done is to use an instant-read thermometer which should register at 165°F.
- Cook the chicken on a medium-high heat. If the grill is too hot, the outside of the chicken will burn and the middle won’t be cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the grill and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving or slicing. This lets the juices redistribute and is key to a juicy chicken breast.