This Chicken Marsala Recipe (so easy!) makes for a great weeknight meal but is also fancy enough to serve to company! Chicken breast and mushrooms are cooked in creamy marsala wine sauce with shallots and garlic for a flavorful dish that doesn’t require hours in the kitchen.
Things are about to get a little fancy with this dish, but don’t worry, it’s still really easy to make! This is so rich, flavorful and creamy, it tastes like a real indulgent treat but is actually less than 400 calories.
How to Make Chicken Marsala
- Prep the chicken and dredge in flour mixture
- Brown chicken in a skillet on both sides.
- Cook the shallot, garlic, and mushrooms in butter.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and make the sauce.
- Simmer until reduced and fully cooked.
- Garnish and enjoy!
See the recipe card and video below for full ingredients and instructions!
What is marsala?
Marsala is a fortified wine that originates from Sicily. It’s often used in cooking and has a nutty and rich flavor – perfect to pair with mushrooms and chicken. For this recipe it’s best to use marsala, but if you are in a pinch, you can substitute it with port or red vermouth.
I like to serve this dish with white or brown rice, but if you prefer you ca also serve it with wide noodles like pappardelle or farfalle. For a really comforting dish, you couldn’t go wrong with serving it over some creamy mashed potatoes!
This dish is rich and flavorful, so whatever you pair it with, let the easy chicken marsala be the star of the show.
Can you make Easy Chicken Marsala ahead of time?
Chicken marsala is one of recipes that gets more flavorful if you leave it, so absolutely this can be made ahead of time! Let the pan cool to room temperature and then cover it and pop it in the fridge and reheat on the stove top later in the day.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 – 3 days.
Evenly Cooked Chicken Breast
Your chicken breast pieces should be the same thickness so that they are cooked evenly. When fully cooked, the chicken should have an internal temperature of 165F.
More Top Tips
- Get your mushrooms nice and brown for more flavor.
- You can use dry or sweet marsala wine in this recipe.
- Use organic / free run chicken if you can and that hasn’t been raised on antibiotics.
For more easy Italian chicken recipes:
- Best Chicken Cacciatore
- Homemade Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken Florentine
- White Chicken Lasagna
- Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Alfredo Soup
- Creamy Chicken Meatballs
- Chicken Alfredo Casserole
- Easy Chicken Piccata
If you have tried this chicken marsala recipe, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Chicken Marsala Recipe (Easy!)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup white all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 tbsp shallot finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 8 oz white mushrooms sliced
- ⅔ cup dry marsala wine
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- fresh chopped parsley
- Pat the chicken dry
- In a shallow bowl mix together the flour, salt and black pepper
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture to coat
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Add the chicken to the skillet, brown on each side for 3-4 minutes
- Set the chicken aside
- Reduce the heat of the skillet to medium
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter to the skillet and allow it to melt
- Add the shallot, sauté 1-2 minutes
- Add the garlic and mushrooms, sauté 1-2 minutes
- Add the chicken back to the skillet
- Pour in the marsala and chicken broth
- Bring to a rolling boil and then reduce the heat to low
- Add the heavy cream
- Simmer for about 10 minutes
- Garnish with parsley and serve over plain white or brown rice