There’s grilled cheese and then there’s this buffalo chicken grilled cheese! Shredded chicken is smothered in hot sauce and topped with blue and jack cheese for a deliciously melted sandwich that you will love.
When you are in need of a treat, this buffalo chicken grilled cheese has your back! Perfectly spicy and topped with blue cheese, this is the sandwich you need in your life!
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Be sure to scroll down for the full recipe!
Combine – In one bowl mix together the butter, garlic powder and parsley. In another mix the chicken, hot sauce and blue cheese.
Make – Spread the bread with the butter mixture and add cheese and the chicken. Close the sandwiches.
Cook – Place the sandwiches into a skillet on a medium heat and coevr with a lid. Cook until the bottoms are browned and flip. Cook until browned and the cheese is melted.
What’s the best chicken to use?
You want to use shredded chicken in this grilled cheese so that it combines really well with the hot sauce. You can use thigh or breast that you cook in the oven or Instant Pot and then shred with forks. You can also use rotisserie chicken to cut down on prep time.
What do you serve with it?
This buffalo chicken grilled cheese is perfect by itself, but I love to dip it in blue cheese and buffalo sauce for a real hit of flavor. You can of course, serve it with some fries or a side salad too.
What’s the best bread to use?
You can of course use any bread for these grilled cheeses, but I really like to use sourdough for mine. It’s thick, holds together really well and really soaks up those flavors. Because the mixture is fairly wet, it’s best to use thick slices.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- This recipe can easily be scaled up or down as needed.
- As these sandwiches are thick, covering the skillet with a lid helps them heat through without burning the bread.
Make it your own!
If you don’t like blue cheese, you can leave that out or replace with extra cheese of your choice.
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread cut approximately ½ inch thick
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- ½ Cup Hot sauce
- 1/3 Cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack swiss, or mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- Blue cheese dip or hot sauce for dipping
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, garlic powder and parsley, set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the shredded chicken, hot sauce and crumbled blue cheese.
- Spread one side of each piece of bread with the butter mixture, then turn over so the butter side is down.
- On two pieces of the bread, add ½ cup of shredded cheese, then top with the buffalo chicken mixture and the remaining shredded cheese.
- Place the remaining pieces of bread on top to close the sandwiches.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and place the sandwiches on the skillet. Cover with a lid and cook approximately 5 minutes until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Carefully flip the sandwiches and gently press to help seal them then cover with the lid and cook another 3-5 minutes until both sides are browned and cheese is melted.
- Remove from the skillet and serve with blue cheese dip or hot sauce.
burning the bread. If you don’t like blue cheese, you can leave that out or replace with extra cheese of your choice.