There’s grilled cheese and then there’s this buffalo chicken grilled cheese! Shredded chicken is smothered in hot sauce and topped with blue and jack cheese for a deliciously melted sandwich that you will love.
What’s in this Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Recipe?
When you are in need of a treat, this buffalo chicken grilled cheese has your back! Perfectly spicy and topped with blue cheese, this is the sandwich you need in your life!
- Unsalted Butter: Helps the sandwiches brown in the pan.
- Garlic Powder: Adds an earthy flavor to the sandwiches.
- Parsley: Adds a pop of freshness and herbal flavor to the sandwiches.
- Cooked Shredded Chicken: This recipe is a great use for leftover chicken, or use a rotisserie chicken.
- Buffalo Sauce: Gives this grilled cheese that classic buffalo flavor.
- Cheese: We’re mixing blue cheese in with the chicken and topping it with melty Monterey jack. Swiss or mozzarella will also work well, though!
- Sourdough Bread: This super hearty bread holds up well to all that filling!
Pro Tip: If you don’t like blue cheese, you can leave that out or replace it with extra cheese of your choice.
Variations on a Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
You can make these sandwiches with a variety of cheeses and sauces to jazz them up. Instead of blue cheese, try gorgonzola. Instead of Monterey jack, try Swiss or mozzarella. Add a bit of blue cheese dressing or ranch into the chicken mixture for even more flavor, and try mixing a ranch seasoning packet into the butter instead of the garlic and parsley.
Blue cheese is a classic choice for flavor, but to make this grilled cheese melty and delicious, opt for a mild-flavored melting cheese like Monterey jack, Swiss, or mozzarella.
That’s up to personal preference. I personally like this particular one with butter since butter pairs really well with buffalo sauce.
These sandwiches are hefty and filling at over 1200 calories per sandwich. You can definitely make them more petite for fewer calories.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover buffalo chicken grilled cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a pan coated with butter set over medium-low heat until warmed through.
How to Freeze
Freeze buffalo chicken grilled cheese tightly wrapped in aluminum foil for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
This buffalo chicken grilled cheese is perfect by itself, but I love to dip it in blue cheese and buffalo sauce for a real hit of flavor. You can, of course, serve it with some fries or a side salad too.
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Recipe
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, garlic powder and parsley, set aside.¼ cup unsalted butter, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- In a medium size bowl, mix the shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, and crumbled blue cheese.2 cups cooked shredded chicken, ½ cup Buffalo sauce, ⅓ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Spread one side of each piece of bread with the butter mixture, then turn over so the butter side is down.4 slices sourdough bread
- On two pieces of the bread, add ½ cup of shredded cheese, then top with the buffalo chicken mixture and the remaining shredded cheese.2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Place the remaining pieces of bread on top to close the sandwiches.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and place the sandwiches on the skillet. Cover with a lid and cook approximately 5 minutes until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Carefully flip the sandwiches and gently press to help seal them then cover with the lid and cook another 3-5 minutes until both sides are browned and cheese is melted.
- Remove from the skillet and serve with blue cheese dip or hot sauce.
- This recipe can easily be scaled up or down as needed.
- As these sandwiches are thick, covering the skillet with a lid helps them heat through without burning the bread.
- If you don’t like blue cheese, you can leave that out or replace with extra cheese of your choice.