Crockpot Shredded Chicken is easy, packed with flavor and an awesome way to meal prep. Perfectly seasoned chicken, slowly cooked to be melt-in-the-mouth tender, perfect for salads, sandwiches, enchiladas and so much more!
What’s in Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken?
Juicy, plump chicken breasts are slow cooked in chicken broth and spices to create the perfect base for any recipe!
- Chicken: I like to use boneless, skinless breasts for this recipe, but thighs will also work well.
- Seasonings: A combination of kosher salt, onion powder, ground paprika, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper gives this chicken just enough flavor without being too overpowering.
- Olive Oil: Helps the seasonings stick to the chicken.
- Chicken Broth: Helps keep the chicken moist as it cooks low and slow.
Pro Tip: If your crockpot is very full, remember, it will take longer to heat and cook.
Variations on Shredded Slow Cooked Chicken
This chicken can be flavored to go with just about any cuisine. Italian seasoning is a good classic flavor, but herbs de Provence, chicken seasoning, taco seasoning, cajun seasoning, or just about any seasoning you can think of will work!
Nope! You just need enough chicken broth to keep the chicken moist and flavorful. The steam from keeping the lid closed will prevent the chicken from drying out as it cooks.
You can leave chicken in the crockpot on low for up to 8 hours. Any longer than that, and the chicken may become tough.
There are various ways to shred chicken. You can use an electric mixer, two forks, or do it by hand. Using the electric mixer may seem the easiest, but you’re left with more cleanup. The simplest way is by fork or hand.
If your chicken is tough, it is either under or overcooked. Check the internal temperature. If it is at 165°F, you’re good to shred it. If it is over 165°F, it is overcooked.
To keep shredded chicken moist, mix in some of the leftover cooking liquid before storing it. This will help it stay moist as it sits and when it is reheated.
How to Store and Reheat
Store cooked shredded chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat shredded chicken in the microwave, covered with a few tablespoons of water or chicken broth, in 30-second increments until warmed through.
How to Freeze
Freeze slow cooker shredded chicken in an airtight container or Ziplock bag for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Crockpot Shredded Chicken Breast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning (or another dried herb blend)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Combine the salt, onion powder, paprika, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and pepper in a small dish.1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon ground paprika, ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Rub the seasonings and olive oil over the chicken breasts.3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pour the chicken broth into the slow cooker.½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for up to 8 hours, until the chicken reaches 165°F internally.
- Slice or shred the chicken breasts with two forks, by hand, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Allow your chicken to cool slightly before shredding but don’t let it cool completely. Warm chicken is much easier to shred.
- Stir in some of the juices/broth to the shredded chicken, to keep it moist.
- If your crockpot is very full, remember, it will take longer to heat and cook.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. If you want the chicken for various dishes don’t go too heavy on spices and seasoning.