This yummy one-pot Garlic Chicken and Rice is a delicious family meal that’s ready to serve in 30 minutes. Wonderfully creamy and simple to make, it’s a great option for an easy weeknight meal.
What’s in this Garlic Chicken Over Rice Recipe?
Made with chicken breast, cream, and Parmesan cheese, this dish is far from bland!
- Chicken: I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you could also use thighs.
- Garlic Salt: Enhances the natural flavor of the chicken and adds a punch of garlic flavor.
- Black Pepper: Adds just a hint of spice.
- Garlic: Adds an earthy flavor and a pungent aroma.
- White Rice: Absorbs tons of flavor while cooking in the sauce.
- Chicken Broth: Infuses the rice with so much flavor.
- Heavy Cream: Makes this dish creamy.
- Spinach: Adds a pop of earthy flavor and color.
- Parmesan Cheese: Adds a salty, umami element.
Pro Tip: Use heavy cream (not half-and-half) for the richest flavor and creamiest texture.
Variations on Creamy Chicken and Rice
You can add some additional veggies to this recipe, like mushrooms or bell peppers. Cook the chicken, remove from the pan, the sauté the veggies before adding the chicken back in and carrying on with the recipe.
I used white rice for this recipe, and I generally have that to hand. You can use brown rice or wild rice if you prefer, but be aware that the cooking time will be longer. The stock also may not all absorb as well, so add half at a time to make sure your finished dish isn’t too liquidy.
I use Boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, cut into bite-sized chunks. If you have chicken thighs you can easily use those too. If you have shredded chicken to use up, you can stir that in after cooking instead.
I don’t recommend freezing this dish, as the cream tends to separate as it thaws and the rice may turn out mushy.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover creamy chicken over rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a pot set over medium-low heat or in the microwave in 30-second increments until warmed through.
I do not recommend freezing this dish, as the cream tends to separate as it thaws.
Top Reader Review
“My family loves it thank you ❤️” – Kristen Thorell
Garlic Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¾ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup dry white rice
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Season the chicken with the garlic salt and pepper.1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, ¾ teaspoon garlic salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Spray a large skillet with oil and cook the chicken over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes until brown.
- Add the garlic and saute 1 minute more.4 cloves garlic
- Add rice and chicken broth to the pan.1 cup dry white rice, 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Heat to boiling and then cover; cook 12-15 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add in the heavy cream and spinach, stir and replace cover and cook another 5-7 minutes.2 cups fresh spinach, ½ cup heavy cream
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and serve!¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Use heavy cream for the richest flavor and creamiest texture.
- You can add in some additional veggies into this recipe like mushrooms or bell pepper. Cook the chicken, remove from the pan, the saute the veggies before adding the chicken back in and carrying on with the recipe.
- You may need to add in a little extra stock when you reheat as the rice will have absorbed the liquid.