Asparagus stuffed chicken breast is a simple, beautiful, and flavorful dish. Better yet, it’s stuffed full of goat cheese and mozzarella too! This dinner can be made all in one pan, and it’s baked to juicy perfection.
Chicken Stuffed with Asparagus and Cheese
This cheesy asparagus stuffed chicken breast recipe is a weeknight dinner dream come true. It’s prepared with just a few ingredients, it’s all made in one pan, and it’s so cheesy!
Chicken breast is stuffed with stalks of asparagus, goat cheese, and mozzarella, then sear and baked to perfection. It’s so easy to make, so flavorful, and it looks impressive.
Why You’ll Love this Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Recipe:
- One Pan: Take this recipe from the stovetop to the oven in one skillet. Clean up will be a breeze!
- Cheesy: This chicken is stuffed with cheese that gets so melty and delicious.
- Easy: Making this recipe is really simple. You’ll be making it every week for a quick and tasty meal!
This elegant chicken and asparagus recipe is perfect for a weekend dinner party with your friends too. It looks beautiful, so your guests will be thinking you’re a gourmet chef. Pair it with your favorite wine and appetizer, and your dinner will be set.
Chicken breast and asparagus is a healthy match made in heaven! While the cheese adds a few calories, having your protein and veggies in check makes it a great meal to cook on a regular basis.
How to Make Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Season the chicken breasts and cut them in half.
- Spread goat cheese into each piece of chicken, place stalks of asparagus inside, and then top with mozzarella. Secure with toothpicks.
- Heat oil and balsamic vinegar in a skillet, then sear the stuffed chicken.
- Move the skillet to the oven, and bake until fully cooked.
This recipe is going from the stovetop straight to the oven. So be sure you are using an oven-safe skillet. Cast iron is always a great option!
We’re stuffing this chicken with both goat cheese and mozzarella. It melts the best and the flavor is perfect with the asparagus.
Store leftovers in an airtight container, in the fridge, and it will keep up to 3 days.
Nope! The asparagus will cook up perfectly along with the chicken, so no need to cool it before stuffing the chicken.
Side Dish Ideas
This recipe could be a light meal on its own. Chicken breast is stuffed with asparagus and lots of cheese, so you’ve already got some veggies baked right in!
I recommend serving it with some rice or quinoa if you want to add some grains, or a side of greens with a tasty dressing.
Roasted balsamic tomatoes would be another great addition to this cheesy asparagus stuffed chicken.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Don’t cut all the way through the chicken breast. Leave a flap connected on one side.
- Fold up the mozzarella if it’s a larger piece. You don’t want it to touch the skillet while searing the chicken.
- Use toothpicks to secure the stuffed chicken while cooking.
- Cook chicken to an internal temp of 165F before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container, in the fridge, up to 3 days.
How do you cut chicken breast to stuff?
To prep this asparagus stuffed chicken, you’ll need to butterfly the chicken breasts first. Using a sturdy, sharp knife, cut into the side. You’ll be cutting it in half lengthwise, leaving a hinge on one side. Don’t cut all the way through!
How do you trim asparagus stalks?
Don’t forget to trim your asparagus before you use them for the recipe. Wash the stalks and cut off the hard white ends at the bottom of each piece. It’s pretty straightforward, but check this asparagus guide for more details if you need help.
Everyone will love this cheesy asparagus stuffed chicken. What’s better than chicken breast filled with cheese? And it’s easy enough to make any night, so you’ll be making it again and again!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese
- 16 stalks asparagus firm ends cut off
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 12 toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Season both each chicken breast with salt and pepper to taste, and then garlic powder and paprika.4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, salt and pepper to taste, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon paprika
- Cut each chicken breast in half length wise. Be careful not to cut all the way through. You're just making a place to put the cheese and asparagus.
- Spread 1 tablespoon goat cheese into the inside of each chicken breast pocket.4 tablespoons goat cheese
- Top with 4 stalks asparagus (sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper), and then top with the mozzarella. You might need to fold the mozzarella to make sure not too much is sticking out (it will stick to the pan if so).16 stalks asparagus, 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- Secure each chicken breast closed with 3 toothpicks, taking care that they’re as flat as possible so that the chicken will sear fully.12 toothpicks
- Heat a large (oven safe) skillet over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and coat the pan. Watch for it to start to glisten. Once glistening, stir in the balsamic vinegar.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Sear the chicken breasts 3-4 minutes per side, being careful to move them around in the oil so they don’t burn, stick. Flip carefully.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temp on the chicken reaches 165F.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Review