Tangy, spicy and super crispy, this fried buffalo chicken sandwich recipe is so addictive! Marinated in buttermilk and dredged in flour before frying, the chicken is wonderfully tender and juicy. It’s then tossed in buffalo sauce before being piled high in sandwiches.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
It’s no secret that we are huge fans of buffalo chicken here, that tangy and spicy flavor is crazy addictive, it may just be one of my favorite condiments!
This fried buffalo chicken chicken sandwich recipe is our current squeeze. The chicken breasts are wonderfully tender after being marinated in buttermilk and the crispy coating adds an amazing crunch to every bite.
Perfect for a tasty family dinner, this is one treat that is hard to resist!
Why You’ll Love this Spicy Chicken Sandwich:
- Restaurant quality: If you love picking up a fried chicken sandwich from your local burger joint or diner, you are going to love this homemade version. It’s well worth the effort!
- Handheld: I’m a huge fan of a handheld dinner! If you are serving to kids you can skip the buffalo sauce if they find it too spicy.
- Everyday ingredients: These sandwiches are easy to whip up with not too much notice. All of the ingredients are widely available and you’ll likely have most things to hand already.
Trust me on this, one bite of these fried buffalo chicken sandwiches and you’ll be hooked! The textures and flavors are so bold, you’ll be making them time and time again!
How to Make a Fried Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cut the chicken breasts in half and pound them thin.
- Marinate them in the buttermilk mixture.
- Drain the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge in the seasoned flour and let rest.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan.
- Dredge the breasts again in the flour mix.
- Fry the chicken in batched til cooked through and golden brown.
- Toss the chicken pieces in buffalo sauce.
- Place in toasted buns with your favorite toppings.
To make your own buttermilk, measure 1 cup of milk, remove 1 tablespoon of it, and mix in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Let this mixture sit for 5 minutes before using in the recipe.
Ideally, the chicken should rest in the marinade overnight to develop the flavor. However, you can marinate the chicken for as little as two hours if you’re pressed for time.
Absolutely! You can make your own Buffalo sauce with just a few ingredients you might already have in your pantry. Here’s my favorite homemade Buffalo sauce recipe.
These Buffalo chicken sandwiches already pack some heat! To make them even spicier, add ¼ teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper to the flour mix in step 4.
These spicy fried chicken sandwiches are crazy good! I’ve made them so many times now, I just can’t get enough of them! Serve them up with favorite sides for one tasty feast!
Fried Buffalo chicken sandwiches are best enjoyed on the day they are made. Store leftover Buffalo chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing fried Buffalo chicken.
Buffalo Chicken Toppings
Serve Buffalo chicken sandwiches on toasted buns with any combination of the following toppings:
- Sliced tomato
- Leaf lettuce
- Blue cheese or ranch dressing
- Sliced red onion
- Bacon strips
- Blue cheese crumbles
Feeding a crowd? Double all ingredients to make 8 fried chicken sandwiches.
Crispy, tender, tangy and spicy, there’s not much you can’t love about these beauties! These are the real deal, and easily stand up to your favorite restaurant takeout. Trust me, these are worth your time!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Fried Buffalo Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper divided
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Buffalo hot sauce
- 4 hamburger buns toasted
- Sliced tomato optional, for serving
- Leaf lettuce optional, for serving
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing optional, for serving
- Using a sharp knife, cut each of chicken breasts in half, creating 4 pieces in total. Place each piece between two sheets of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound them to ½-inch thickness.2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Place the pounded chicken in a plastic zip-top bag. Add the buttermilk, 1 teaspoon hot sauce, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Massage the liquid around the chicken, seal the bag, and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-24 hours.1 cup buttermilk, 1 teaspoon hot sauce, 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- When ready to fry, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and remaining salt and pepper. Pour the Buffalo sauce in a second bowl and set aside.1¼ cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon ground paprika, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pour the contents of the bag of chicken into a large colander, draining the buttermilk from the chicken.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the flour mixture, then transfer them to the baking sheet. Allow them to rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1-inch of cooking oil in a frying pan or deep Dutch oven to 350°F. Dredge the chicken through the flour mixture a second time before adding them to the hot oil.
- Fry the chicken in batches for 2-4 minutes per side, until golden brown and cooked through to 165°F. Set them on a cooling rack set over paper towels to drain.
- Toss the fried chicken in the Buffalo sauce, then build your sandwiches on toasted buns.1 cup Buffalo hot sauce, 4 hamburger buns, Sliced tomato, Leaf lettuce, Ranch or blue cheese dressing
- Storage: Buffalo chicken sandwiches are best enjoyed on the day they are made. Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Note: Nutritional information does not include optional toppings.