This Sheet Pan Chicken Caprese recipe is quick, easy, and even a little bit fancy. Chicken breasts are topped with mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and a sweet balsamic. It’s the perfect easy chicken recipe for busy weeknights! Five basic ingredients and one sheet pan are all you need to make this healthy Italian-inspired meal.
What’s in Baked Caprese Chicken?
This Caprese chicken recipe calls for 5 main ingredients plus some seasonings, and once the main ingredients are prepared, the recipe comes together in 4 easy steps.
- Chicken Breasts: We used chicken breasts, but feel free to use thighs if you’d like! Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Salt & Pepper: A sprinkle of salt and pepper brings out all the great flavor.
- Garlic Powder: The holy grail of seasonings. Don’t skip it!
- Italian Seasoning: You can’t have a Caprese without Italian seasoning! It is the perfect seasoning for this chicken.
- Tomatoes: Sliced tomatoes are placed on tip of the chicken to add a juicy and sweet element.
- Fresh Mozzarella: The perfect melty cheese that boosts the decadence up a notch.
- Balsamic Reduction: A key part of this sheet pan Caprese chicken. It adds a delicious, sweet, and tangy finish.
- Fresh Basil: This herb goes with the chicken, mozzarella cheese, balsamic, and tomato perfectly.
Insider Tip: Not sure how to make balsamic reduction? Check out this how-to from our other site, Cookie Rookie, here!
Whether you want to switch up this chicken Caprese recipe, or don’t have a certain ingredient, there are other fantastic ways to enjoy this delicious dish.
For instance, if you don’t want to use fresh chicken breasts, you can always use frozen! Just be sure you thaw it before cooking. You can also use chicken thighs and increase the cooking time.
If you don’t have large tomatoes, cherry or grape tomatoes work just as well!
You can easily make a balsamic reduction at home! Just bring one cup of balsamic vinegar to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes. Check the consistency by dipping a spoon in the mixture. If it coats the back of the spoon, the glaze is ready.
As the reduction cools, the consistency will become more syrup-like. If you happen to reduce the vinegar too much (guilty!) and it becomes a bit too sticky, simply stir a bit of water into the mixture over low heat. Be sure to save any extra glaze for any leftovers or to use on other dishes.
Absolutely! Chicken breasts are low-fat and high in protein. Combine that with tomatoes, which are loaded with vitamin C, K, potassium, folate, and lycopene, and fresh mozzarella cheese, which is high in protein and other vitamins and minerals, you’ll have an equally delicious and nutritious meal.
You’ll know your chicken Caprese is done cooking when it reaches 165°F. Use an instant read meat thermometer to get the most accurate results.
How to Store and Reheat Caprese Chicken
Store your sheet pan chicken Caprese in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, place it in a casserole dish and bake at 375°F for about 30 minutes.
How to Freeze Caprese Chicken Bake
To freeze your Caprese chicken, first allow it to cool completely before taking off the fresh cheese and tomatoes (these ingredients won’t freeze well). Then place the chicken in a resealable bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating and eating.
What to Serve with Sheet Pan Caprese Chicken
To make this easy Sheet Pan Caprese Chicken into a filling meal for the whole family, you have several options! You could go with the obvious option and pair it with pasta like this Baked Feta Pasta, Lemon Asparagus Pasta, or just a bed of your favorite noodle.
It will also taste great with some Roasted Vegetables, Quinoa Chicken Fried Rice, Twice Baked Potatoes, or a Classic Caesar Salad.
Sheet Pan Chicken Caprese – Easy Caprese Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts 6-8 ounces each
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 large tomatoes sliced
- 4-6 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced into 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup reduced balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze see post for instructions
- Chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large bowl. Sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning over the chicken and add in the olive oil. Toss the chicken in the seasonings and oil until evenly coated.4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Arrange the chicken breasts on a sheet pan. Top each chicken breast with 1 slice of mozzarella and 1-2 tomato slices. Top each tomato slice with a dash of salt and pepper.1-2 large tomatoes, 4-6 ounces fresh mozzarella
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Check the temperature of the chicken to ensure it has reached 165 degrees.
- Drizzle each chicken breast with balsamic glaze and top with chopped fresh basil.1/4 cup reduced balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze, Chopped fresh basil
Leave a Review