This Sheet Pan Chicken Caprese recipe is quick, easy, and even a little bit fancy. Easy Caprese Chicken is the perfect easy chicken recipe for busy weeknights! Five basic ingredients and one sheet pan are all you need to make this healthy Italian-inspired meal.
Chicken Caprese Recipe
Chicken Caprese is one of my favorite meals. I just LOVE the flavor combination of tomato, balsamic, and basil. I typically enjoy Caprese chicken in the summer when we fire up the grill almost every evening. But who says Caprese chicken needs to be a dish exclusively for summer?
With this Caprese Chicken, you can easily enjoy all the fresh flavors of the tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil year around! You’ll just need to change the cooking method, which is why we turn to the trusted sheet pan to get the job done.
This sheet pan version will give you tender, juicy, perfectly cooked chicken breasts topped with melted fresh mozzarella, and tomatoes cooked just enough to bring out their sweet flavor.
Step by Step Instructions
This Sheet Pan Caprese Chicken calls for 5 main ingredients: chicken breasts, fresh mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, and reduced balsamic vinegar. Once the main ingredients are prepared, the recipe comes together in 4 easy steps.
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
- To begin, season the chicken breasts with a mixture of salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder and rub with olive oil.
- Arrange the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and top each breast with a slice of mozzarella and a slice of tomato. Feel free to add a couple slices of each to cover the entire chicken breast.
- Bake the chicken at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. It’s important to ensure the temperature of the chicken has reached 165 degrees.
- Finally, top each chicken breast with chopped fresh basil and a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar.
How to Reduce Balsamic Vinegar (Easy Balsamic Reduction)
The reduced balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze is a key part of this Sheet Pan Caprese Chicken because it adds a sweet and tangy finish to the chicken. You can easily make a balsamic reduction at home.
All you need is a small saucepan and one cup of balsamic vinegar. Bring it to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer for10-15 minutes. Check the consistency by dipping a spoon in the mixture. If it coats the back of the spoon, the glaze is ready.
As the reduction cools, the consistency will become more syrup-like. If you happen to reduce the vinegar too much (guilty!) and it becomes a bit too sticky, simply stir a bit of water into the mixture over low heat. Be sure to save any extra glaze for any leftovers or to use on other dishes.
To make this Sheet Pan Caprese Chicken into a filling meal for the whole family, you have several options! Thirty minutes is the perfect amount of time to prepare a side dish that will complement the chicken.
I decided to go with the obvious option and boil some pasta while the chicken was cooking. The timing worked out wonderfully. I had beautiful beds of spaghetti plated and ready for the chicken as soon as it came out of the oven. Here are some additional side dish ideas:
- Roasted vegetables (brussels sprouts, zucchini, bell peppers, cauliflower)
- Baked potato
- Caesar Salad
The options are endless for making this a complete meal the whole family will love. Weeknights can be so stressful, especially when it comes to putting dinner on the table.
This Sheet Pan Caprese Chicken is a healthy, delicious, and easy meal that can be on the table in 30 minutes or less! Let us know how you like it!
Other Sheet Pan Recipes we love:
- BBQ Chicken Nachos
- Baked Chicken Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Veggies
- Honey Garlic Chicken and Veggies
- Pesto Mozzarella Chicken
- Mexican Chicken Nachos
- Chicken Prosciutto
- Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Mojo Chicken
Sheet Pan Chicken Caprese – Easy Caprese Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts 6-8 ounces each
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 large tomatoes sliced
- 4-6 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced into 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup reduced balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze see post for instructions
- Chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large bowl. Sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning over the chicken and add in the olive oil. Toss the chicken in the seasonings and oil until evenly coated.
- Arrange the chicken breasts on a sheet pan. Top each chicken breast with 1 slice of mozzarella and 1-2 tomato slices. Top each tomato slice with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Check the temperature of the chicken to ensure it has reached 165 degrees.
- Drizzle each chicken breast with balsamic glaze and top with chopped fresh basil.