This Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup is jam packed with delicious goodies! Golden pillows of tortellini swim next to succulent shredded chicken and sweet carrots, all in addictive chicken broth. Easy, filling and so tasty!
Chicken Tortellini Soup hits that sweet spot between a soup and pasta dish. Tortellini, chicken and veg in a simple roux, makes this super hearty and so delicious. It’s a warming addictive main, made for slurping! Plus it’s a breeze to whip up.
Why this is so good
- Easy to make. Simple ingredients all cooked up in one pot, perfect for busy weeknights.
- Hearty. Although it’s called a soup, it’s really a super hearty, whole meal in a bowl!
- Delicious. Plump tortellini and succulent chicken in an addictive creamy broth.
- Chicken Broth: You can use low sodium if you wish.
- Chicken Breast: In a pinch you can use rotisserie chicken.
- Pasta: Tortellini pasta gives this recipe a hearty punch.
- Cheese: I used Parmesan as it cuts through the chicken broth so well.
- Heavy Cream: To get a lovely creamy consistency for the broth.
- Salt & Pepper: Adjust to taste.
- Vegetables: Carrots and onions.
- Butter: For a richer broth.
- All Purpose Flour: To thicken the broth
- Thyme: Fresh thyme best a lovely herbal punch. Goes great with chicken.
How to make this Chicken Tortellini Soup
Saute chopped veggies in a large pot, then add chicken broth, seasoning and chicken. Simmer for 30 mins.
Prep the roux by mixing butter and flour in a small pot on a low heat. Then add the roux in the large pot with the chicken stock. Add the tortellini, boil according to the box instructions, then add heavy cream and Parmesan.
Serve warm and enjoy!
See the recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.
What to serve with Chicken Tortellini Soup
This easy tortellini soup is light, yet hearty, satisfying and eats like a full meal.
However, if you are looking for a good side option to serve with this soup, I suggest a simple spinach side salad would be a fresh accompaniment.
Also, this soup would love some sort of crusty, artisan bread to mop up that creamy broth!
Can you freeze soup?
This chicken tortellini soup freezes well!
To freeze chicken tortellini soup with spinach, make sure you allow the soup to cool completely before transferring it to a large, freezer-friendly zip-closure bag. The soup will keep well for 2-3 months in the freezer.
When you ready to reheat, allow the soup to defrost in the refrigerator overnight if frozen. Then, transfer the soup to a large soup pot.
This recipe is delicious, but there are so many different ways to customize it to your tastes.
- Protein: Instead of chicken breasts try chicken thighs or chicken sausage.
- Vegetables: You can add all different vegetables to the mix such as spinach, zucchini, green beans, peas or corn.
- Pasta: Other flavors of tortellini can be used instead of the cheese variety, or try mini ravioli for a fun twist!
Don’t wait too long to eat!
This soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Keep in mind that the pasta will continue to absorb the broth as it sits, so you may need to add more broth upon reheating.
- Fresh tortellini is great, as they cook a lot faster than the frozen kind.
- Cut the vegetables into larger pieces so they won’t get overly soft.
- You can chop up your vegetable the night before to save on prep time in the morning.
Check out these other delicious soups
- Best Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Easy Egg Drop Soup
- Creamy Chicken Soup
- Chicken Lasagne Soup
Have you tried this Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup recipe? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups tortellini pasta
- 1 cup parmesan
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- Finely chop carrots and onion
- In a large pot add 1 tbsp of the butter on medium heat
- Saute carrots and onions for 10 minutes until golden brown
- Add 8 cups of chicken broth, salt, black pepper and chicken breast in pot
- Bring to boil then simmer for 30 minutes until chicken is cooked
- Remove chicken from pot and shred. Set aside
- Meanwhile, in a small pot prep the roux. Add 3 tbsp of the butter and flour on low heat. Mix well with a whisk until combined and golden
- Add roux in the large pot with the chicken stock
- Add tortellini and boil according to box instructions
- Add heavy cream and parmesan. Stir and serve while warm!