This easy Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe features plenty of shredded chicken, tender cheese tortellini, veggies, herbs and more! It’s a comforting classic that’s great for making on a chilly day. The best part is that this one pot recipe comes together in under 30 minutes!
Why we love this Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe
There’s nothing better than chicken soup on a cold day! Check out what makes this body and soul warming soup so amazing:
- Filling: There’s plenty of chicken and tortellini in this soup to keep you nice and full after just one hearty serving.
- Versatile: There are plenty of variations to try with this versatile chicken soup recipe. Check out the section below for a little inspiration!
- Quick and Easy: A one pot soup recipe that comes together in under 30 minutes? Yes, please!
Variations to Try
Here are just a few ways you can change up this chicken soup with tortellini:
- More veggies are always a good idea! If you need to clean out your fridge, go for it. Some vegetables that work well include peas, leafy greens, green beans and more.
- You can make the shredded chicken yourself (either in the Crockpot or Instant Pot), or just buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and shred that.
- Spice it up with some crushed red pepper flakes. Just be careful because a little goes a long way!
How to Store and Reheat
Here’s the deal – tortellini soup is never quite as good left over. Tortellini tends to get quite soft and even mushy when left in broth for a long time. With that being said, this soup will still be good enough to eat within 1-2 days in the fridge, but the tortellini won’t have the same consistency.
Reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until warmed all the way through. Stir each time it stops.
How to Freeze
Soups that contain pasta won’t hold up well in the freezer. If you’re cooking soup specifically to freeze, just hold the pasta. That way you can reheat your freezer meal, boil some fresh pasta, and combine them then.
This soup is a well rounded meal all by itself! If you do want to pair it with anything, consider a crusty piece of bread to help soak up all of the broth.
More Chicken Soup Recipes We Love
- Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
- White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crack Chicken Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Top Reader Review
“I like that the recipe is quick and tasty. I used basil, oregano, and tarragon with a small capful of apple cider vinegar but no salt or pepper.” – Karen O.
Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 package 9 ounces tortellini
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add in the onion, carrots, celery, and salt and cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook for another minute.
- Add in the tortellini and chicken broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook the pasta until it rises to the top.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir in the chicken and parsley. Add in more chicken broth if needed.
- Cook the soup for a couple minutes until the chicken is heated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
How to make Chicken Tortellini Soup Step by Step
Sauté the veggies: Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 small diced onion, 3 diced carrots, and 3 diced stalks of celery. Add 1/2 tsp salt. Cook until softened. Stir in 2 cloves minced garlic and 1 tsp Italian seasoning and cook for just 1 more minute.
Boil it: Add in 1 9oz package tortellini and 6 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cook until the tortellini rises to the top.
Add the chicken: Reduce to a simmer before adding 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken and chopped fresh parsley. Cook just long enough to warm the chicken.