This chicken tortellini soup uses staple ingredients and is simple to make. It’s perfect for a cold day and oh so simple to whip up!
This chicken tortellini soup recipe is a healthier weeknight dinner option with a flavorful broth and plenty of hearty, delicious tortellini! Have this soup bubbling away at the end of a busy day, or serve it up to anyone filling under the weather this winter!
How To Make Chicken Tortellini Soup
Can I Make This Chicken Tortellini Soup In A Slow Cooker?
You can easily make this delicious soup in a crock pot. Instead of using the pre-cooked chicken, you can use raw chicken breasts or chicken thighs and cook it on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours (test to make sure the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily). Then, add the tortellini in with about 30 minutes to go.
Can I Freeze Chicken Tortellini Soup?
Soups that contain pasta, won’t hold up to the freezer. If you’re cooking soup specifically to freeze, just hold the pasta. That way you can reheat your freezer meal, boil some fresh pasta, and combine them then. Properly stored, cooked chicken soup will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
To further extend the shelf life of cooked chicken soup, freeze it; freeze in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.
What To Serve With Chicken Tortellini Soup
This soup is hearty on its own but you can serve up some delicious sides, should you be feeling extra famished. Here are some ideas:
- Garlic Cheesy Cornbread
- Oatmeal Bread Rolls With Molasses
- Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Easy Cucumber Salad Recipe
Top Tips For Chicken Tortellini Soup
- This soup is a great way to use up leftover chicken, or you can buy a rotisserie chicken.
- As always, if you’ve got other veggies in your fridge that you’d like to use up, feel free to add them to this soup.
- Make sure to cook the pasta until it rises to the top.
- This type of soup will soak up the broth, so it’s best eaten right away. The leftovers are still tasty, but you may need to add more water or chicken broth.
Check Out These Other Delicious Soup Recipes
Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 stalks of celery diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 package 9 ounces tortellini
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add in the onion, carrots, celery, and salt and cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Stir in the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook for another minute.
- Add in the tortellini and chicken broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook the pasta until it rises to the top.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir in the chicken and parsley. Add in more chicken broth if needed.
- Cook the soup for a couple minutes until the chicken is heated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.