Warm your soul with this delicious creamy chicken noodle soup. Easy to make, this recipe is perfect when you are running short on time but want something filling and hearty.
Let’s be honest, there’s nothing quite like a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup, and there’s never a bad time to enjoy it!
This version is super rich and flavorful and made with milk and heavy cream for an indulgent texture.
Simple and quick to make, this creamy chicken noodle soup will make you feel like all is right with the world!
Why you will love this recipe!
- One Pot: This soup is all cooked in one pot on the stovetop, so clean up is a breeze!
- Made from scratch: Made with nutritious and delicious ingredients.
- Make ahead: Make up a big batch of this soup to enjoy throughout the week.
- Kid-friendly: Even the fussiest of eaters will love this soup!
How to make creamy chicken noodle soup
Be sure to scroll down for the full recipe!
- Saute the onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
- Add the chicken broth and boil.
- Place in the chicken breasts and cook through.
- Remove the chicken.
- Add the pasta and cook til tender.
- Add the cream and butter mix to the soup.
- Shred the chicken and add it back to the pot.
- Season and serve!
Can you use chicken thighs in this recipe?
You can use thighs or breasts in this creamy chicken noodle soup. If you use thighs, just increase the poaching time to 20 minutes, or until the thighs are cooked through.
What’s the best pasta to use?
You can use any kind of pasta you have to hand for this recipe. Great options are egg noodles, rotini, penne, and macaroni.
Use a gluten-free pasta like corn and a 1:1 gluten-free flour if you have a wheat intolerance.
How long does it keep?
This soup is perfect for meal prep. It will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days and can be frozen fro up to 3 months. Thaw frozen soup in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Reheat gently on the stovetop or for 3 minutes in the microwave until warmed through. Because the pasta will absorb liquid as it sits, you may want to add in a little stock or water when you reheat it.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Make the soup in a heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven. It will distribute more evenly and is less likely to burn on the bottom.
- Feel free to add in any extra veggies you have to hand. Mushrooms and bell peppers both work great.
More Chicken Soup Recipes
- Chicken Soup with Kale
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- White Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Coconut Soup
- Chicken and Rice Soup
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups pasta
- ¼ cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, carrot, and celery. Sauté until softened. Add in the garlic and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower in the chicken breasts, cover and simmer until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Lower the soup to a simmer. Add in the pasta and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter over medium heat in a small sauté pan. Once melted, whisk in the flour. Continue to cook, whisking constantly until the mixture is golden, about 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly ladle in 1 cup of the broth while whisking continually. Once incorporated, whisk in the milk and cream. Add to the soup pot.
- Once cool enough to tough, shred the chicken into bite sizes pieces with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the parsley. Ladle into bowls and enjoy!