Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast is filled with a delicious broccoli cheese mixture, seared in a skillet, and then baked to perfection. Super easy and super scrumptious!
- Why we love this Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- Variations to Try
- How to Store and Reheat
- How to Freeze
- Serving Suggestions
- More Stuffed Chicken Recipes We Love
- Top Reader Review
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
- How to make Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast Step by Step
Why we love this Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Recipe
This recipe is great for sneaking veggies onto my kids plates! Here’s why I keep making it on pretty much a weekly basis:
- Juicy. The cream cheese stuffing helps keep these chicken breasts super moist.
- Classic. Who doesn’t love broccoli and cheese?!
- Fun. Easy to whip up and perfect for a hearty weeknight dinner.
Variations to Try
There are so many different fillings you could use with this chicken. Try some of these options:
- Spinach and Feta: Replace the chopped broccoli with chopped spinach. and substitute the shredded cheddar cheese with crumbled feta cheese.
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Mozzarella: Add ¼ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes to the filling mixture, use shredded mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar cheese, and sprinkle some dried basil or Italian seasoning over the chicken breasts before baking.
- Bacon and Ranch: Cook 4 slices of bacon until crispy, then crumble them into small pieces; combine the crumbled bacon with the filling mixture; and sprinkle some ranch seasoning or ranch dressing mix over the chicken breasts along with the other seasonings.
- Mushroom and Swiss: Sauté 1 cup of sliced mushrooms in a little olive oil until softened, mix the sautéed mushrooms with the filling mixture, and use shredded Swiss cheese instead of cheddar cheese.
- Mediterranean: Replace the chopped broccoli with a mixture of chopped kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes, and feta cheese; add a sprinkle of dried oregano and a squeeze of lemon juice to the filling mixture; and top the chicken breasts with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of crumbled feta cheese before baking.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover stuffed chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat chicken in a 350°F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through.
How to Freeze
Freeze stuffed chicken breasts tightly wrapped in 2 layers of plastic wrap and 1 layer of aluminum foil for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Serve this easy chicken dinner with a fresh side salad, garlic green beans or some mushroom rice. If you want it even more hearty, you could go for some mashed or roasted potatoes. For a healthier twist, try some grains like couscous or quinoa.
Yes, you can prepare the stuffing ahead of time. However, it’s recommended to keep the filling mixture separate from the chicken until you’re ready to stuff it. Store the filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator and assemble the stuffed chicken just before cooking.
The best way to avoid eating under-cooked chicken would be to test it with a digital food thermometer. The internal temperature of the stuffed chicken breast should be 165°F in order to be sure that the chicken is cooked thoroughly and ready.
You sure can. Preheat the air fryer to 375°F and place the stuffed chicken breasts in the air fryer basket. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken reaches the desired internal temperature.
More Stuffed Chicken Recipes We Love
- Stuffed Chicken Marsala
- Taco Stuffed Chicken
- Balsamic Stuffed Chicken
- Stuffed Chicken Parmesan
- Buffalo Stuffed Chicken
- Stuffed Chicken Piccata
Top Reader Review
“Literally melts in your mouth it was the perfect flavor the cream cheese just adds so much to it it’s great I’ll be using this recipe a lot” – Valerie L Magee
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
For the Chicken
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the Filling
- 2 cups chopped broccoli smaller pieces
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces cream cheese room temperature (¾ brick)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine the salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika in a small dish. Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken breasts. Rub the seasoning mixture on the chicken and coat entirely.1 teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon ground paprika, 4 tablespoons olive oil, 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Combine the filling ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.2 cups chopped broccoli, ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, 6 ounces cream cheese, 1 clove garlic, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut out a wide pocket in each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Stuff each chicken breast with the filling.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Once heated, sear the stuffed chicken breasts on each side, but don’t cook through. You may need to do this in two batches depending on the size of your chicken breasts. Place all 4 breasts in the skillet and transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until the chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Chop your broccoli florets nice and small so they can all fit inside the chicken.
- Pick large chicken breasts.
- Use a sharp pairing knife to cut a pocket in the chicken. Be sure not to cut all the way through.
- Don’t be shy with the cheese, but also don’t overstuff the cheese into the chicken breast pocket.
- If you don’t have an oven safe skillet, you can sear the chicken in a skillet first, then transfer to an oven safe dish.
- To check the doneness of the chicken, use an instant-read meat thermometer. When it reaches 165°F degrees you’re good to plate up!
- Garnish with parsley for an extra pop of color.
How to make Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast Step by Step
Season the chicken: In a small bowl, combine 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp paprika. Drizzle the 4 chicken breasts with 4 tbsp olive oil, then rub the seasoning mixture evenly all over the breasts.
Make the filling: In a bowl, combine 2 cups chopped broccoli, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 6 ounces of cream cheese, 1 garlic clove and salt and pepper to taste.
Create the pockets: Slice a wide pocket into each chicken breast. Do not cut all the way through!
Stuff the chicken: Stuff each chicken breast with an even amount of filling.
Sear the chicken: Heat 2 tbsp of oil in an oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken breasts on each side but do not cook all the way through.
Bake: Bake the chicken at 375°F for 25-35 minutes.