Taco Stuffed Chicken is a delicious and unique easy weeknight dinner! Tender, juicy chicken breasts are stuffed with a boldly seasoned cream cheese mixture that will really make your mouth water. Make this family favorite for dinner tonight!
Taco Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
It’s pretty common to fall into the same weeknight dinner routines. We all do it! This taco stuffed chicken breast recipe is a delicious way to surprise your family at the dinner table.
As much as I love a perfectly cooked chicken breast, I think my favorite part of this recipe is the cheesy, creamy stuffing. It’s made flavorful with taco seasoning and it really brings the whole dish together!
Why You’ll Love this Taco Stuffed Chicken:
- Hearty: One of these taco stuffed chicken breasts is guaranteed to fill you up! You’ll definitely be satisfied with the delicious taco flavor and hearty portion of this dinner.
- Easy: The steps in this recipe are short and simple! After making these chicken breasts, you’ll be wishing all weeknight dinners were this easy.
- Cheesy: There’s nothing more delicious than cheesy stuffed chicken, especially when that cheesy mixture is made of ingredients like Mexican cheese, cream cheese, and taco seasoning!
How to make Taco Stuffed Chicken
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cut a pocket in the chicken breasts.
- Season the chicken breasts.
- Create the cream cheese mixture.
- Stuff each chicken breast with 1/4 of the mixture.
- Sear the stuffed chicken breasts in a warm skillet.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the heat.
- Spoon salsa over the chicken.
- Top with Mexican cheese.
- Serve, and enjoy!
How should I serve taco stuffed chicken breasts?
To garnish, chop up some fresh cilantro and sprinkle it all over your chicken breasts! Cilantro adds the perfect fresh taste to this rich and savory entree.
Additionally, I love serving my stuffed chicken breasts over rice. That way, if any of the cream cheese mixture leaves the chicken, I can mix it in with the rice for a perfect bite.
Because the stuffed chicken is so hearty and filling, consider serving it with a lighter side dish like salad or grilled vegetables.
How do I know when it’s done baking?
First and foremost, always use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken’s internal temperature is 165F!
By just looking at the them, you’ll know they’re done baking when the cheese is fully melted on top of the chicken breasts.
How long will they stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the refrigerator, taco stuffed chicken breasts will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
When you’re ready to eat your leftovers, I recommend popping the chicken breast back in the oven for just a few minutes. In the microwave, it might lose its juicy and delicious texture!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Avoid overstuffing the chicken breasts! If your chicken breasts are on the smaller side, consider using less cream cheese mixture than I use to stuff them. You want to avoid the cheesy middle from overflowing as it bakes.
- To add a little bit of spice, consider tossing some chopped jalapeños in the salsa! It’ll add a nice spicy kick without being overpowering.
- Don’t rush the searing process. Until you reach a golden brown color on each side of the breast, they’re not ready to bake. The searing really does wonders for the texture of the breast!
After trying these cheesy taco stuffed chicken breasts, your family will be begging you to make them again!
More stuffed chicken recipes we love
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Tuscan Stuffed Chicken
- Pepperoni Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breast
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Taco Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups shredded Mexican cheese divided
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 4.5 oz can chopped green chilis
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon taco seasoning divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup salsa
- Cilantro to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- On the thick side of the chicken breast, cut a long pocket, as deep as possible without cutting through to the other side. Season each side of the chicken with salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning.
- In a bowl, stir together 1 cup Mexican cheese, cream cheese, green chilis, and 1 tablespoon taco seasoning. Stuff each chicken breast with ¼ of this mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully add each chicken breast to the pan and sear until both sides are golden brown, about 5-6 minutes per side.
- Remove from the heat, spoon the salsa over the chicken and top with cheese. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through.
- Feel free to substitute any cheese you like!
- You can secure the stuffed chicken breasts together with toothpicks if desired.