BBQ Chicken Pizza is topped with shredded chicken, barbecue sauce, sliced red onions, and plenty of smoked gouda cheese! This homemade BBQ pizza recipe is better than your favorite restaurant’s, and it’s ready in just 30 minutes!
What’s in this BBQ Chicken Pizza recipe?
Calling all barbecue lovers – this chicken pizza is for you! Simple ingredients bake to perfection atop a pizza crust to deliver the best BBQ flavor.
- Pizza Crust: Start with any crust or dough you like. A pre-made, refrigerated crust works, or try making homemade pizza dough!
- Chicken: Use chicken that has been fully cooked. Grab a rotisserie chicken from the store, or make Instant Pot shredded chicken for a quick and easy option.
- Barbecue Sauce: Use your favorite store-bought brand. I like a sauce that’s a little bit sweet for this BBQ chicken pizza.
- Red Onion: Red onion has a bite that pairs well with the other flavors.
- Smoked Gouda Cheese: I love the way the subtle smoked flavor of this cheese pairs with the barbecue sauce.
- Cilantro: This is an optional (but highly recommended) garnish!
Pro Tip: I recommend using a BBQ sauce that you already know you like. That way, you’ll love the flavor that’s all over the pizza.
What other toppings can I add to barbecue pizza?
This BBQ chicken pizza recipe is pretty simple, with just BBQ shredded chicken, barbecue sauce, onion, and cheese on top. But feel free to add more ingredients if you like. Sweet corn, blue cheese crumbles, caramelized onion, and bell peppers would all taste delicious! If you’re a fan of ranch, serve some on the side or drizzle it on top.
If you happen to have a particularly thin sauce, you can thicken it with a slurry. Combine 1 TBSP of cornstarch with 1 TBSP of water, then stir this mixture into your BBQ sauce until the consistency reaches your liking.
If your pizza crust isn’t as crisp as you’d like it to be, it may be because you added too much BBQ sauce. Half a cup should do the trick, but if it looks like too much you may want to cut back before topping with the chicken.
Smoked gouda works best in this recipe, but you can switch it out for mozzarella, Swiss, or gruyere.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Let BBQ chicken pizza cool to room temperature, then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also wrap slices in aluminum foil.
Reheat in the microwave, oven, or air fryer until warmed through.
How to Freeze
Let the pizza fully cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve, pop it into the oven and bake until warm.
What to Serve with Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza
BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe
- 1 large pizza crust*
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded*
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 2 cups shredded smoked gouda mozzarella cheese, or a combo of both
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- Prep the pizza stone/pan: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Once heated, place the pizza stone or pan in the oven.
- Prep the crust: Place the pizza crust on a large piece of parchment paper. If the crust is still in dough form, roll out the dough.1 large pizza crust*
- Add the toppings: Spread a thin layer of barbecue sauce on the pizza crust. In a bowl, combine the remaining barbecue sauce and chicken. Then, add on the toppings in this order: 1 1/2 cups of cheese, red onion, BBQ chicken, remaining 1/2 cup cheese.2 cups cooked chicken, 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, 1/4 cup sliced red onion, 2 cups shredded smoked gouda
- Bake: Remove the pizza pan or stone from the oven. Slide the pizza onto the pan and bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the crust is crispy on the outside and cooked through (if using pizza dough). Finish with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.1/2 cup cilantro