This easy Chicken Parmesan Sandwich recipe features tender, juicy, crispy chicken that’s topped with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. These sandwiches are so incredibly filling and flavorful!
What’s in this Chicken Parmesan Sandwich Recipe
This recipe makes enough for six sandwiches, but it is easily doubled or halved. Just make as many as you need!
- Chicken Breasts: This recipe works well with both thigh and breast meat. If you use chicken thighs, they will require a slightly longer cook time to fry, but they taste great.
- Flour: I recommend spooning the flour into the measuring cup rather than dipping the cup directly into the bag, as that tends to pack the flour in there.
- Eggs: I like to use free-range organic eggs when I can.
- Italian Breadcrumbs: These give the best crunch and Italian flavor to the chicken!
- Seasonings: You’ll need garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, salt, and pepper.
- Cheese: You’ll need both freshly grated parmesan cheese and sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Marinara Sauce: For the very best flavor, consider making your own homemade marinara sauce!
- Fresh Basil: This adds the best herbaceous Italian flavor!
PRO TIP: Canola oil works great for pan frying, but olive oil or any oil with a high smoke point will work too.
What kind of bread should I use?
The sandwich bread is totally up to you! We used Italian Hoagie bread, and I think any sub-style bread works perfect. You could also slice up a baguette to the proper size.
I prefer to pan fry the chicken for this sandwich recipe. It’s quicker and it helps to get the coating really nice and crispy.
But if you prefer to bake the chicken, place it in a preheated oven at 350°F, and bake for around 25 minutes until it is cooked through.
Dredging is the process of coating the chicken in flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs in order to create that crispy texture. It adds a lot more flavor too!
It is best to serve these chicken parm sandwiches as soon as they are made so that they are nice and crispy. However, you can dredge the chicken breast one to two days before you cook them and keep them covered in the fridge.
How to Store and Reheat
These are best served right after cooking. But if you have extra chicken parm, wrap them separately and store them in the fridge. You can bake or fry in the skillet to get some of its texture back.
These chicken parmesan sandwiches go with any and all of your favorite sides! Serve them with fries or potato wedges for a casual meal, or add a salad or veggies to help balance out the fried chicken.
Top Reader Review
- “My picky family LOVED these and so did I! They were delicious. We devoured this in minutes!” – Bo
More Chicken Sandwich Recipes We Love
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
- Copycat Chick Fil A Sandwiches (Fried or Air Fried)
- Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
- BBQ Chicken Sandwich
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- Asiago Ranch Chicken Club (Wendy’s Copycat)
Chicken Parmesan Sandwich Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- ½ cup flour
- 4 eggs whisked
- 1 ¼ cup Italian flavored breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup fresh parmesan cheese grated
- 2 cups oil
- 6 Italian style buns
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce
- ⅓ cup fresh basil chopped
- In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, salt, pepper, and grated parmesan cheese. Transfer to a shallow bowl. Whisk eggs and transfer to a second shallow bowl. Place flour in a third shallow bowl.4 eggs, 1 ¼ cup Italian flavored breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, ½ cup fresh parmesan cheese, ½ cup flour
- Dredge chicken by dipping the cutlets in the following order: flour, egg, breadcrumbs, egg, breadcrumbs.3 chicken breasts
- Heat oil in pan on medium high heat. When oil is hot, turn heat down to medium and shallow fry the chicken for three to four minutes on each side until golden brown and no longer pink inside.2 cups oil
- Place the chicken on a rack over a cookie sheet and top with sliced mozzerella cheese. Broil the chicken for 3 minutes until the cheese is melted. Watch carefully so they don’t burn.8 oz. mozzarella cheese
- Cut buns in half, spread with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Toast under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, watching carefully.6 Italian style buns, ¼ cup butter, ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Heat marinara sauce in the microwave for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Spoon ¼ cup marinara sauce on each chicken cutlet and sprinkle with chopped basil. Place on buns and serve.1 ½ cups marinara sauce, ⅓ cup fresh basil
- You could dredge the chicken in the flour, egg, crumbs without repeating the eggs and crumbs step, but I found this gave the chicken a nice thick crust.
- The buns I used were labeled ‘Italian Hoagies’, but any oblong shape would work.
- I used a cast iron pan, but any pan should work.
- I used canola oil.