These BBQ Chicken Foil Packets are loaded with vibrant veggies and juicy chicken, slathered in BBQ sauce! Cook on the grill or in the oven, so easy!
Chicken in a Foil Packet
Chicken in a foil packet is such a fun, delicious and easy meal! These beautiful bundles of BBQ’d goodies are cooked to perfection and serve up a healthy, hearty dinner.
Looking for more recipes you can whack on the grill? Why not also try my Grilled Chicken Thighs and my Chimichurri Chicken!
Why You’ll Love these Chicken Foil Packets:
- A balanced meal in one: Sweet potatoes and a host of other veggies are teamed up with protein packed chicken.
- Easy cleanup: All packed into foil, no mess, no fuss!
- BBQ flavor: The foil allows the BBQ flavor to permeate throughout the veggies and chicken. Use your favorite BBQ sauce!
Foil packets are one of my favorite summer meals – they are just so easy to make!
How to Make BBQ Chicken Foil Packets
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Place your ingredients in heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Season your ingredients, drizzle with olive oil and brush the chicken with BBQ sauce.
- Wrap the foil packets and grill for 15-20 mins.
- Unwrap, garnish and serve!
To make a BBQ foil packet, lay out a piece of aluminum foil that is about 12-14 inches long. Place the ingredients in the center of the foil, then hold the short sides together above the center. Roll the edges down to create a seal. On the two remaining sides, roll down each edge, sealing the packet. Do not seal the packets too tightly; you want to leave room for steam.
You can use parchment paper instead of aluminum foil to make foil packets. Seat the parchment in a cast-iron skillet on the grill or on a baking sheet in the oven. Do not place the parchment paper directly on the grill grates.
To make foil packets in the oven, use either aluminum foil packets or parchment packets and bake at 400°F for about 20-25 minutes, or until the meat registers 165°F internally. For extra browning, you can broil the chicken breasts uncovered for 2-3 minutes at the end of baking.
Absolutely! I really love this homemade BBQ sauce recipe.
Great for BBQ parties, you can prep ahead of time, everyone loves getting their own foil packet of yumminess!
Make Ahead Instructions
Assemble the foil packets up to 1 day in advance. Store tightly wrapped in the refrigerator until ready to grill.
Store BBQ chicken foil packets in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Wrap up the foil packets as though you are about to grill them, then stack the packets in a Ziplock bag and freeze for up to 2 months. Let packets thaw in the refrigerator overnight before grilling or baking.
Foil Packet Substitutions
There are endless ways to customize foil packet meals. Here are just a few:
- Meat: Substitute salmon, shrimp, sausage, or pork tenderloin in place of the chicken.
- Potatoes: Substitute your favorite kind of potatoes in place of the sweet potato, such as Yukon gold, russet, or fingerlings.
- Veggies: Use your favorite combination of grilling veggies, such as corn cobs cut into 4 equal pieces, 1-inch chunks of carrots, onions cut into wedges, or whole cherry tomatoes.
- Sauce: Use teriyaki sauce, Buffalo sauce, pesto, or chimichurri in place of the barbecue sauce.
Tender BBQ chicken breast, sweet potatoes, zucchini’s, bacon and so much more is nestled in these delightful foil packets! It’s a healthy meal in one that will bring a smile to anyone’s face. No fuss, all taste!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
BBQ Chicken Foil Packets Recipe
- 1 sweet potato cubed
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 1 zucchini sliced into half rounds
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce divided
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Sliced avocado for serving
- Light the grill to medium-high heat. Lay out 4 large pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil (or doubled-up regular aluminum foil) on a clean work surface.
- Place an equal amount of sweet potatoes, bell peppers, and zucchini, plus 1 chicken breast and 1 slice of bacon, on each piece of foil.1 sweet potato, 2 bell peppers, 1 zucchini, 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 4 slices bacon
- Combine the salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder in a small dish.2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground paprika, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle the seasoning over the chicken and vegetables. Rub the seasoning and oil into the chicken breasts and toss the veggies until evenly coated.2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the chicken atop the veggies and brush the breasts with half of the barbecue sauce.⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- Wrap up each foil packet by bringing two sides together, folding the foil down into the center, and folding in the two ends of the packet.
- Grill the packets for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F and the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove the bacon slice from each packet and chop into bits. Sprinkle back over the foil packets.
- Brush the chicken with the remaining barbecue sauce and garnish with fresh cilantro and avocado slices.Fresh cilantro, Sliced avocado
Leave a Review