Need the perfect quick meal for a quick lunch or dinner? Prepare these flavorful BBQ Chicken Sandwiches made with boneless chicken breast and other fresh ingredients.
Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwich Recipe
When you want to prepare a satisfying and tasty lunch, make BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. It is easy to prepare these sandwiches using chicken breast with BBQ sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and a few other ingredients.
The zesty chicken pairs well with the homemade slaw for an incredible sandwich that you’ll want to devour. These also make a great dinner and are perfect for meal prepping!
Why You’ll Love this Stovetop BBQ Chicken Sandwiches Recipe:
- Flavorful meal: The chicken is juicy and flavorful with the sauce, sugar, and other added ingredients combined.
- Versatile meal: It’s the perfect quick and tasty meal to make for lunch or dinner.
- Leftover friendly: You can use leftover chicken for these sandwiches or save the leftovers for lunch the next day.
How to make Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches on the Stove
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Combine your BBQ sauce with water, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Let the sauce simmer before adding your chicken breasts, covering the pot, and cooking for roughly 12-15 minutes.
- Remove your chicken from the pot, leave the pot on the stove, and begin shredding the chicken. Place it back in the pot with the sauce and toss it around.
- Grab a separate bowl and mix your mayo with vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Add shredded cabbage, toss, and then put it in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble your sandwiches.
- Make sandwiches by adding the shredded chicken on a bun and then placing the slaw on top.
What kind of chicken do I need?
You need boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe. You can cook it on the spot or use pre-cooked chicken. It’s even possible to use a rotisserie chicken for this recipe, but you’ll need to shred it into pieces.
Can I use homemade BBQ sauce?
Yes, you can use homemade BBQ sauce. Use any kind of BBQ sauce that you personally prefer to make these sandwiches taste great. This is my favorite homemade BBQ sauce recipe!
Can I use coleslaw mix?
It’s a good idea to use coleslaw mix. Simply toss it with the ingredients used to prepare the slaw, including the mayo and vinegar. It can save you some time instead of having to chop the cabbage into pieces.
More BBQ Chicken Recipes to Try
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Use a hand mixer to shred your chicken at a faster pace! It works like a charm.
- You can add pre-cooked chicken to the pot with the BBQ sauce mixture to make these at an even faster pace.
- Brioche buns are an excellent choice for these sandwiches. They have a light texture with a great taste that goes well with the BBQ chicken and slaw.
Enjoy these easy BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. They taste great when served with a side of chips or fries! Perfect for lunch, dinner and a great way to use up leftover chicken.
More chicken sandwich recipes we love
- Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Grilled Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
For the chicken:
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
For the slaw:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 6 hamburger buns toasted
- Bread and butter pickles
- In a large pot, stir together the barbecue sauce, water, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, and bring to a simmer.1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce, ½ cup water, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add in the chicken breasts, cover, and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the chicken reads 165 degrees.2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Remove the chicken from the pot, leaving the sauce in the pot, and shred it with two forks into bite sized pieces. Transfer back to the pot and toss with the sauce.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, and pepper until smooth. Toss with the shredded cabbage in a large bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, 4 cups shredded cabbage
- To assemble the sandwiches. Place a heaping pile of BBQ chicken onto a bottom but. Top with coleslaw, pickles and the top bun. Enjoy!6 hamburger buns, Bread and butter pickles
- Chicken cooking time will vary greatly depending on the size of your chicken breasts.
- Check often and cook until the thickest part of the chicken reads 165 degrees with a meat thermometer.
- Instead of shredded cabbage, you can also use the same amount of coleslaw mix.