Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breast is so easy to make with a handful of seasonings and your favorite barbecue sauce! The air fryer cuts down on cooking time so you can have dinner on the table nice and fast. Plus, when cooked in the air fryer, this flavorful chicken breast always turns out so tender and juicy!
What’s in Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breasts
A simple seasoning mix makes the chicken breasts flavorful before they’re smothered with your choice of BBQ sauce!
- Chicken Breasts: Thinner chicken breasts are ideal here. Slice larger breasts in half if needed.
- Seasonings: You’ll need a medley of chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder for this flavorful blend.
- Olive Oil: You can swap this with avocado oil if preferred.
- BBQ Sauce: Use your favorite brand or my homemade BBQ sauce!
PRO TIP: Use similar sized chicken breasts so they cook at the same time.
Can I use frozen chicken breasts?
Yes! Just make sure the chicken breasts are fully thawed and gently patted dry with paper towels prior to seasoning and cooking.
Yes! I would go for boneless thighs and you will have to increase the cooking time slightly. Just be sure to check they are cooked through. If you are looking for a great bone in air fryer chicken recipe, give my air fryer chicken thighs a try!
Sure thing! Add some cayenne powder or crushed red pepper flakes to the seasoning mix for some added heat.
Use a meat thermometer. Inserted into the thickest part of the meat, the temperature should read 165°F once it’s fully cooked and safe to eat.
How to Store and Reheat
Once cooled to room temperature, you can store BBQ chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. I recommend reheating it back in the air fryer for just a few minutes to warm it all the way through.
How to Freeze
In a freezer-safe storage bag or container, this BBQ chicken recipe will stay fresh for up to 2 months. Let the frozen chicken thaw in the fridge for a few hours prior to reheating.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes We Love
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Pickle Brined Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chili Lime Chicken
- Air Fryer Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
- Air Fryer Orange Chicken
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breast Recipe
- 1 ½ – 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts thin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup BBQ sauce plus more for serving
- Preheat the air fryer to 370°F.
- For best results, use thin chicken breasts. If needed, slice the chicken breasts in half to create thinner pieces or place the breasts between parchment paper, plastic wrap, or in a zip-top bag and pound them thin.1 ½ – 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Combine the chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder in a small dish.1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Coat each chicken breast with the oil and seasoning mix.1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place the chicken breasts in the air fryer basket in a single layer. If needed, cook the chicken in batches.
- Cook for 9 minutes, flip the chicken breasts, and cook for 8 more minutes.
- Brush each chicken breast with BBQ sauce.½ cup BBQ sauce
- Cook for another 2 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Slice and serve with additional BBQ sauce.
- Be sure to use a preheated air fryer.
- Use similar sized chicken breasts so they cook at the same time.
- If you want to give the chicken a smokier taste, switch the paprika out for smoked paprika.