When you are in the mood for a Japanese-inspired meal, you need to try this Teriyaki Chicken with Marinade. It is slightly sweet and tastes delicious with a side of white rice and broccoli.
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Breast (With Easy Chicken Teriyaki Marinade)
- Why You’ll Love this Chicken Teriyaki Marinade Recipe:
- How to make Chicken Teriyaki Marinade (Grilled or Stovetop)
- What type of chicken works best?
- How do I thicken the teriyaki sauce?
- What sides go with teriyaki chicken?
- Recipe Tips and Notes
- More Grilled Chicken recipes we love
- Chicken Teriyaki Marinade Recipe (Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Breast)
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Breast (With Easy Chicken Teriyaki Marinade)
If you often order teriyaki chicken when getting takeout, save yourself some money while preparing this Teriyaki Chicken with Marinade from scratch.
You can use a handful of ingredients to prepare a sweet and savory chicken that you can have for lunch or dinner. The chicken goes great with many different sides.
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Teriyaki Marinade Recipe:
- Quick: The chicken cooks fast. It is the perfect meal to make when you want a quick, homemade dinner.
- Versatile: You can serve this chicken with lots of different side dishes, such as fried rice, white rice, and even roasted potatoes.
- Healthy alternative: It is the perfect alternative for Japanese cuisine that you can make at home instead of ordering from a takeout restaurant.
How to make Chicken Teriyaki Marinade (Grilled or Stovetop)
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Combine all your marinade ingredients except for the cornstarch.
- Add your chicken to the large container.
- Let it sit in the fridge for an hour before cooking.
- Cook the chicken on the grill for seven minutes per side.
- Mix cornstarch with water on low heat, toss in your leftover marinade, and simmer until your sauce is thick.
What type of chicken works best?
The best type of chicken to use is boneless, skinless chicken breast. You can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you do not have any chicken breast.
How do I thicken the teriyaki sauce?
The sauce will thicken with the cornstarch slurry that you add in. If the sauce is still not thick enough, add a bit more cornstarch and water to the marinade.
What sides go with teriyaki chicken?
You can serve your Teriyaki Chicken with Marinade over a bed of white rice, brown rice, or vegetable fried rice.
Although it goes great with rice, you might also want to serve it with roasted potatoes, roasted broccoli, or riced cauliflower for a low-carb option.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Cook your chicken on the grill if you want to get that smokey flavor with each bite.
- Let your chicken marinade for more than an hour if you have the extra time. You can even let it marinade overnight to soak in all the juices.
- If you cannot find sesame seed oil, you can use perilla oil, which is a different type of seed oil with a similar taste.
The Teriyaki Chicken with Marinade is a simple meal with such a great taste. It pairs well with vegetables and rice. You can serve it for lunch or dinner, depending on when you are in the mood for it.
More Grilled Chicken recipes we love
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Chicken with Strawberry Salsa
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Teriyaki Marinade Recipe (Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Breast)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seed oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
To thicken the sauce:
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Oil for the grill
- Place chicken in a Ziploc bag or container.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all ingredients except for the water and cornstarch.
- Reserve ½ cup of the marinade mixture and set aside.
- Pour remaining marinade over prepared chicken breasts.
- Seal bag or cover container and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to 375F then brush grill grates.
- Grill marinated chicken breasts 7 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 165F.
- While chicken is grilling, combine water and cornstarch in a sauce pan over medium low heat then add the reserved marinade. Simmer until it begins to thicken.
- Brush thickened sauce over chicken as it finishes grilling.
- You can marinate chicken with this recipe overnight in the refrigerator.
- Suggested sides are rice, sesame seeds and green onions.
- Add one Tablespoon sriracha to spice this up!
- Discard all liquid marinade as soon as the chicken goes on the grill.
- Make this on the stove top! In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Place marinated chicken breasts in hot pan then cook for 3 minutes. Turn the chicken breasts, reduce the temperature to medium and cover. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165F. Add reserved marinade and cook until it begins to thicken.