Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts are made with a sauce that’s sweet, savory, and seriously addictive. Made with ingredients like soy sauce, honey, and fresh garlic cloves, this dinner is soon to become a weeknight favorite.
Skillet Honey Garlic Chicken
Honey and garlic is a sweet and savory combo that nobody can resist. This homemade sauce is easy to make, and after trying it, you’ll want to pour it on everything!
The chicken breasts are seared, creating a beautiful golden brown color before letting them simmer. The texture and flavor of these tender, juicy chicken breasts is really incredible – especially when doused in the mouthwatering honey garlic sauce!
Do you love how the sweetness of honey perfectly compliments so many chicken dishes? Then you need to make my Honey Mustard Chicken Skillet and some delicious Soy Honey Glazed Chicken Wings!
Why You’ll Love this Honey Garlic Chicken Breast Recipe:
- Versatile: You can serve this chicken to sweet tooths and savory lovers alike. It’s versatile enough to please any palate!
- The sauce: The sauce isn’t just amazing on the chicken. I recommend serving this chicken with side dishes like rice and broccoli, because the sauce is SO tasty on them too.
- Easy: The steps in this recipe are easy and not time consuming, making honey garlic chicken a perfect weeknight go-to dinner.
How to make Honey Garlic Chicken
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Whisk together the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, and garlic.
- Season and dredge the chicken breasts.
- Brown the chicken breasts.
- Sizzle the chicken in the sauce.
- Allow the chicken to simmer in the sauce.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the skillet.
My sauce isn’t thick – what happened?
This is a fairly simple problem to solve! If your sauce it too thin, chances are there’s not enough cornstarch. The cornstarch is the thickening agent that creates the perfectly smooth sauce.
To remedy your thin sauce problem, whisk more cornstarch and water together. Stir the cornstarch mixture to the pan slowly, just a little bit at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
What are some other good side dishes for honey garlic chicken?
I love using plain white rice and steamed broccoli on the side with my entree! They’re perfect for soaking up the honey garlic sauce. Trust me, you don’t want any of that stuff to go to waste!
However, if you’re looking for some more exciting side dish options, here are a couple –
How long will it stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the refrigerator, honey garlic chicken breasts will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
When you’re ready to enjoy it, I recommend popping it back in the skillet instead of the microwave. That way, the saucy chicken is still as good as when you first ate it!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Don’t skip the searing step! Searing the chicken until it’s browned on both sides is very important to the texture and savory flavor of the breast. If you skip right to simmering, you’ll lose out on a lot.
- Make sure your chicken breasts reach an internal temperature of 165°F before serving!
- The brand doesn’t really matter, but make sure your honey is good quality. If you use a cheaper bottle, your sauce might taste very sweet, but lack in actual honey flavor.
- When dredging the chicken breasts, be sure to really cover them fully. If some spots are unevenly dredged, the chicken won’t cook properly.
This chicken breast recipe is savory, sweet, and simple. It’s a unique dinner that will have everyone begging for seconds!
More Chicken Breast recipes we love
- Juicy Baked Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Breast with Mango Avocado Salsa
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 chicken breasts about 2 pounds total
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch + 2 teaspoons water
- Chopped green onion
- Sesame seeds
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, and garlic. Set aside.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the flour until fully coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once heated, add in the chicken breasts, cooking for 3-4 minutes per side until browned.
- Add in the sauce and let it sizzle for a minute.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover the pan, and let the chicken simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small dish, mix the cornstarch and water into a slurry.
- Uncover the pan, add in the slurry, and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Serve the chicken topped with extra sauce from the pan and a sprinkle of chopped green onion and sesame seeds.
Leave a Review