This easy Fiesta Lime Chicken Recipe is an Applebee’s copycat that seriously satisfies! Tender, juicy marinated chicken breasts are flavorful as can be and grilled with a slice of cheese that melts beautifully on top.
Why We Love This Fiesta Lime Chicken Recipe
Fiesta lime chicken is my favorite thing to order at Applebee’s, and it’s even better when made at home! Check out what makes it so crave-worthy:
- Lower in calories: If you order it at the restaurant, it will contain 1200 calories, but my version is lees than 500!
- Marinated to perfection: The ingredients make such an amazing marinade that really flavor the chicken and make it tender and succulent.
- Copycat: I love a good copycat recipe that turns out even better than the original.
What kind of cheese should I use on tequila lime chicken?
Any good melting cheese will work with this recipe. I prefer colby jack or cheddar cheese, but you could also use gruyere or mozzarella.
How to Store and Reheat
Once cooled to room temperature, you can store any leftover fiesta lime chicken you have in an airtight container in the fridge. For the best reheated results, pop it in either the air fryer or oven until warmed all the way through.
How to Freeze
Freeze fiesta lime chicken for up to 3 months. Just make sure it’s cooled to room temperature prior to storing in an airtight freezer-safe container.
More Mexican Chicken Recipes We Love
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Taco Salad
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- Chicken Mole
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Taquitos
Top Reader Review
“We loved this fiesta chicken – so easy and so much flavor!!” – Courtney
Fiesta Lime Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup good quality tequila
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoons Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime Seasoning Blend If you don’t have access to this, use 1 tps. Paprika, 1 tsp. cumin, and 1 tsp. salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 slices Ultra Thin Colby Jack or Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Lite 3-Cheese Ranch I used Kraft
- In a large bowl, mix tequila, lime juice, orange juice, garlic, fiesta lime seasoning blend, pepper, and cilantro.½ cup good quality tequila, ¾ cup fresh lime juice, ½ cup fresh orange juice, 2 cloves garlic minced, 1 tablespoons Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime Seasoning Blend, 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper, ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the chicken into 2 gallon sized ziplock bags (2 per bag) and pour the marinade over the chicken. Seal in the fridge for 6-8 hours.4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- After marinating, take the chicken out of the bags and grill on medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Brush each chicken liberally with the ranch, and top with a slice of cheese. Allow the cheese to melt over the chicken before taking off the grill.½ cup Lite 3-Cheese Ranch, 4 slices Ultra Thin Colby Jack or Cheddar Cheese
- Serve with rice, fresh pico de gallo, and lime slices.
- Leave the chicken marinate overnight for the most flavor.
- Any good melting cheese will work with this recipe. You could also use cheddar, gruyere or mozzarella
- If unsure if the chicken is cooked, use a meat thermometer and check it reaches 165°F.
How To Make Fiesta Lime Chicken Step by Step
Marinate the chicken: Mix together 1/2 cup tequila, 3/4 cup lime juice, 1/2 cup orange juice, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 TBSP fiesta lime seasoning blend, 1 tsp black pepper and 1/2 cup fresh cilantro. Place 4 chicken breasts into two different ziplock bags, pour the marinade over the chicken and marinate for 6-8 hours in the fridge.
Grill the chicken: Remove the marinated chicken from the bags. Grill over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes per side or until cooked through.
Top the chicken: Brush each chicken with ranch then top each one with 1 slice of cheese.
Let it melt: Allow the cheese to melt before removing the chicken from the grill.