This easy Chicken Romesco recipe features roasted chicken breasts served with a bold red pepper tomato sauce. It’s a keto-friendly entree that’s definitely not lacking flavor!
What’s in This Chicken Romesco Recipe?
Short paragraph here. Talk about why we love this recipe and how its different/better than others on the web
- Spices: We season the chicken with paprika, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to really enhance its flavor. To bring the dish together, we add paprika to the sauce as well!
- Chicken: We prefer to use large boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but thighs will also work.
- Roasted Red Peppers: You’ll need a whole jar to add smoky flavor to this sauce.
- Tomato Paste: Enhances the acidity and natural red color!
- Garlic: Adds grounding earthiness to the sauce.
- Red Wine Vinegar: Enhances the tomato and pepper flavors.
- Toasted Almonds: Thicken up this sauce to create a smooth and rich texture.
Variations on Chicken with Romesco Sauce
Romesco chicken is not spicy! However, you can always add some heat if you’d like. Just toss in some crushed red pepper flakes with the other sauce ingredients. Keep in mind that a little goes a long way!
How to Store and Reheat
Chicken romesco is best eaten as soon as it’s made, but the sauce can be prepped a day ahead of time and stored covered in the fridge. If you have leftovers, they will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days and are best reheated in the oven.
Notes from the Test Kitchen
Roasted red peppers, garlic, toasted almonds, an array of mouthwatering spices and more come together to make this roasted romesco chicken anything but bland. Plus, it’s so easy– the chicken gets tossed in the oven while the sauce gets blended together in just a few seconds.
Chicken Romesco Recipe
For the Chicken
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Romesco Sauce
- 12 ounces roasted red peppers drained (1 jar)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ¼ cup toasted almonds
- Baking Sheet
- Food Processor
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a small dish, combine the spice rub ingredients. Rub the mixture over the chicken breasts to coat. Place the chicken breasts on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.2 teaspoons ground paprika, ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Roast the chicken in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through to 165°F.
- While the chicken is roasting, combine the romesco ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is pureed. Heat the sauce on the stovetop so it is warmed through to serve.12 ounces roasted red peppers, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 clove garlic, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon ground paprika, ¼ cup toasted almonds
- When the chicken has finished cooking, spoon the romesco sauce over the chicken before serving. Or, layer a spoonful or two of romesco sauce on a plate and serve the chicken breast over the sauce.
- Rub the spice mix all over the breasts so that they are evenly coated.
- Bake the chicken in a pre-heated oven so that they cook evenly.
- If you can, use organic / free run chicken that hasn’t been raised on antibiotics.
How To Make Chicken Romesco Step by Step
Bake the Chicken: Combine 2 teaspoons of ground paprika, ¾ teaspoon of kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper, ¼ teaspoon of onion powder, and ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder. Rub the seasoning blend all over 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Place the seasoned chicken on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes.
Blend the Sauce: Add 12 ounces (1 jar) of drained roasted red peppers, 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, 1 peeled clove of garlic, 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon of ground paprika, and ¼ cup of toasted almonds to a food processor. Blend to form a smooth sauce. Once blended, pour the sauce into a pot to warm it.
Serve the Chicken: Spoon the romesco sauce underneath the chicken breast or on top, whichever you prefer.
Romesco is a delicious sauce made from blended roasted red peppers, tomatoes, and almonds. Various spices are added to create a harmonious flavor.
Romesco is a sauce, while romanesco is actually a type of cauliflower!
Aside from smothering it all over roasted chicken, this sauce pairs well with fish, beef, and all kinds of vegetables. You could even toss it with pasta!