Cheesy Chicken and Rice is our GO TO simple weeknight meal the entire family loves. Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli is made in one pot and is comfort food with none of the fuss. Creamy, easy, quick, and delicious! So kid friendly!
One Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
Chicken and rice with broccoli is a classic favorite, but now let’s take it to the next level!
This cheesy chicken and rice recipe is loaded with Velveeta cheese, broccoli, cauliflower, and an array of spices that really turn up the flavor on a tried and true classic casserole dish!
This beauty is made in just one skillet to easy your cooking chaos woes and lets you get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
It doesn’t get much better than a good comfort food dish with that many perks. So, don’t miss out on a dinner you’ll love, and try this recipe now!
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Ingredients
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Salted butter
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- Chicken broth
- Ground black pepper
- Instant white rice
- Broccoli florets
- Cauliflower florets
- Velveeta cheese
How To Make This One Pot Chicken Recipe
This chicken and rice casserole is perfect for beginners. It allows you to get familiar with some basic cooking techniques without getting too crazy.
You just have to season the chicken with salt and pepper and add butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the chicken and cook on each side, until fully browned and nearly cooked through. Remove the chicken and place on a foil tented plate to keep warm.
Next, add the soup, chicken broth, paprika, and pepper to the skillet and stir to combine. Stir in the rice, broccoli, and cauliflower and add the Velveeta cheese, stirring to melt.
Once Velveeta is melted, return the chicken to the skillet and nestle in the rice. Cover and cook until fully done, serve and enjoy!
Be sure to see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for full ingredients and instructions!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Make sure the skillet is big enough: Be sure your skillet is at least 12 inches. We’re going to be making the whole recipe in this one dish so any smaller and you’ll have overflow, and a huge mess to clean up.
- Prep ingredients before you start: To make the process go smoothly, I like to make sure all of my ingredients are prepped before I start doing any cooking on the stove. So make sure your chicken and veggies are all ready to go before you start adding anything to the skillet.
- Keep a close eye: Since this is a recipe that comes together so quickly, be sure not to leave the pan unattended for too long. Keep a close eye on the skillet to make sure nothing is cooking quicker than expected or burning.
How To Butterfly Chicken
Don’t let the fancy term scare you off. Butterflying chicken is actually really simple, you just take your chicken and cut it lengthwise. It’s essentially just a way to get two thinner chicken breasts instead of one big thick one.
If, you’re still a little iffy on how the process works, here’s a great video on How To Butterfly Chicken that will show you how it’s done.
Family Favorite – Kid Friendly Recipe
Whether you’re a family of 3, like us, or a family of 6 or more this recipe for Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole is perfect for you. It can easily be adjusted for more people and is great leftover if you’re serving it to less than 4 people.
Not to mention, it’s a great way to sneak in some veggies in a way that doesn’t make picky eaters cringe at the sight of them. Talk about a win-win situation!
Easy Dinner Recipe
I know how hectic things can get which makes the thought of prepping dinner every night a daunting task. That’s why I love to keep things simple with my favorite chicken recipes that make prepping dinner a breeze.
Trust me, I’m no cooking expert, so if I can easily make these recipes, so can you!
Want to see more Cheesy Chicken Recipes?
- Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken Parmesan Baked Ziti
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Pesto Mozzarella Chicken
- Baked Salsa Chicken
There’s nothing better than a recipe that doesn’t involve a million dishes to clean and is one of the reasons why I LOVE this recipe. It’s full of flavor, easy to make, and even easier to clean up.
Be sure to save this one from when you’re in a time crunch but still want an amazing homecooked meal. I know you’re going to drool over it just as much as my family and I do.
Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Recipe
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise (butterflied)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 10 ounces (1 can) Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups uncooked instant white rice
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 4 ounces velveeta cheese
- Season the chicken liberally on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add butter to a large (12 inch) skillet over medium high heat. Once melted, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until fully browned and nearly cooked through.
- Remove the chicken and place on a foil tented plate to keep warm.
- Add the soup, chicken broth, paprika, and pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the rice, broccoli, and cauliflower. Add the velveeta cheese, stirring to melt.
- Once Velveeta is melted, return the chicken to the skillet and nestle in the rice. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until internal temp on the chicken reaches 165F.
- Serve and enjoy!