This Shake and Bake Chicken recipe is so good, you won’t believe it’s not the original! The panko breadcrumbs and flavorful seasoning mix make super tasty and juicy chicken that is so easy to make.
What’s in this Shake and Bake Chicken Recipe?
Between the crispy breadcrumb coating, tender meat, and sensational flavors, this copycat Shake ‘N Bake recipe is simply phenomenal!
- Chicken: This recipe uses legs and thighs, but it works for any cut!
- Olive Oil: Helps the seasoning stick to the chicken.
- Shake and Bake Seasoning: A homemade blend of Panko breadcrumbs, cornmeal, kosher salt, garlic powder, ground paprika, onion powder, dried thyme, oregano, and ground black pepper.
Pro Tip: Be sure to pat your chicken dry with a clean paper towel after rinsing as it helps the breading stick to the chicken.
Variations on Shake N Bake Chicken
Shake N Bake seasoning chicken comes in so many varieties now. You can swap out the Panko breadcrumbs for crushed pretzel pieces or a 50-50 mix of Panko and Parmesan cheese for a different flavor.
Try swapping out half of the spices for a packet of ranch seasoning mix to make ranch & herb shake and bake.
Shake and bake is a method for breading chicken that involves placing all of the breading ingredients and the chicken into a resealable bag, then shaking to coat. Shake ‘n Bake is the brand name for this method and specific seasoning blend made by Kraft Foods.
No, there is no need to rinse chicken before using this shake and bake seasoning!
Yes! Shake and bake seasoning is designed for both pork and chicken, so it would be delicious on pork chops!
This chicken is cooked at 400°F.
The main reason shake and bake doesn’t stick to chicken is because the meat is too wet. Thoroughly pat the chicken pieces with a paper towel before oiling the chicken for the best adherence.
You sure can! Preheat your air fryer to 380℉ and bake the coated chicken pieces for 24-28 minutes, flipping halfway through, until 165°F internally.
If your oven isn’t hot enough or the chicken is relatively wet when it goes into the oven, this can lead to soggy chicken. Make sure your oven is fully preheated, and ensure the chicken is dry before tossing with olive oil and shake and bake.
How to Make Ahead and Store
The shake and bake seasoning can be made in advance and stored in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months. This recipe makes enough for one use, but you can easily scale it up and store it in bulk for later use.
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to Freeze
Freeze shake n bake chicken in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating in a baking dish covered in foil in a 350℉ oven for about 10 minutes. To reheat in the air fryer, cook at 375℉ for about 5 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
Serve this delicious shake and bake chicken with mashed potatoes, coleslaw, and green beans for a complete meal! Dip it in some Chick Fil A sauce for even more flavor.
Shake and Bake Chicken Recipe
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin on chicken thighs and legs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Shake and Bake Seasoning Mix
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs finely ground
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set a wire rack on top. Spray it with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large Ziplock bag, add the panko, cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, thyme, oregano, and pepper. Seal the bag and gently shake to combine; set aside.2 cups Panko breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1½ teaspoons ground paprika, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rub the chicken pieces evenly with the oil. Place one piece of chicken in the Ziplock bag and shake gently to coat, then place it on the wire rack. Repeat with remaining pieces.3 pounds bone-in, skin on chicken thighs and legs, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Serve immediately.
- Be sure to pat your chicken dry with a clean paper towel after rinsing as it helps the breading stick to the chicken.
- Feel free to use other cuts of chicken! This recipe is versatile, so you can use chicken breasts, chicken tenders, or even make homemade chicken nuggets if you wish!
- To prevent sogginess, the pieces of chicken shouldn’t touch while cooking. Pieces set too close together could cause the breading to stick to itself and come off of the chicken, and it could also slow down the cooking process or steam the chicken rather than crisping it.
- To reheat, place the chicken pieces in a baking dish covered in foil in a 350℉ for about 10 minutes.