This homemade Shake and Bake Chicken recipe is so good, you won’t believe it’s not the original! The panko breadcrumbs and flavorful seasoning mix make super tasty and juicy chicken that is so easy to make.
Shake and Bake Chicken
Shake and Bake Chicken is a bit of a comfort classic. That delicious mix makes for a tasty and easy chicken dinner you can bake in a flash. And this homemade version is even better.
Between the crispy breadcrumb coating, tender meat, and sensational flavors, this copycat recipe is simply phenomenal!
Why You’ll Love this Shake and Bake Chicken Recipe:
- Simple Ingredients: This easy recipe requires basic ingredients that you can find at home. Just don’t forget the chicken!
- Easy to Love: Everybody loves delicious and crispy breaded chicken! It’s a classic comforting dish that the entire family can enjoy.
- Healthy Alternative: The original mix is premade and has preservatives. This homemade Shake and Bake uses natural ingredients, making it a healthier option!
Trademark Note: In the spirit of transparency, I want to note that this is a copycat recipe for a trademarked product. Kraft Foods is a proprietary brand that I want to acknowledge and give credit to.
How to Make Homemade Shake and Bake Chicken
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prep your baking sheet as instructed below (in the recipe card).
- In a resealable bag, add your Shake and Bake ingredients, and shake to combine.
- Rub chicken pieces with oil, then place one piece of chicken in the bag and shake to coat.
- Place on the cooling rack and repeat with remaining pieces.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, and serve!
Shake and bake is a method for breading chicken that involves placing all of the breading ingredients and the chicken into a resealable bag, then shaking to coat. Shake ‘n Bake is the brand name for this method and specific seasoning blend made by Kraft Foods.
Yes! You can put shake and bake seasoning on any cut of chicken. You will need to adjust the baking time according to the cut and whether or not the meat is boneless.
The main reason shake and bake doesn’t stick to chicken is because the meat is too wet. Thoroughly pat the chicken pieces with a paper towel before oiling the chicken for the best adherence.
Yes! Shake and bake seasoning is designed for both pork and chicken, so it would be delicious on pork chops!
You sure can! Preheat your air fryer to 380℉ and bake the coated chicken pieces for 24-28 minutes, flipping halfway through, until 165°F internally.
If your oven isn’t hot enough or the chicken is relatively wet when it goes into the oven, this can lead to soggy chicken. Make sure your oven is fully preheated, and ensure the chicken is dry before tossing with olive oil and shake and bake.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to pat your chicken dry with a clean paper towel after rinsing as it helps the breading stick to the chicken.
- Feel free to use other cuts of chicken! This recipe is versatile, so you can use chicken breasts, chicken tenders, or even make homemade chicken nuggets if you wish!
Make Ahead Instructions
The shake and bake seasoning can be made in advance and stored in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months. This recipe makes enough for one use, but you can easily scale it up and store it in bulk for later use.
Store leftover shake and bake chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the chicken pieces in a baking dish covered in foil in a 350℉ for about 10 minutes. To reheat in the air fryer, cook at 375℉ for about 5 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
Freeze shake and bake chicken in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
#1 Shake and Bake Chicken Tip
To prevent sogginess, the pieces of chicken shouldn’t touch while cooking. Pieces set too close together could cause the breading to stick to itself and come off of the chicken, and it could also slow down the cooking process or steam the chicken rather than crisping it.
This recipe is truly as easy as shaking the chicken in a flavorful breading mixture, and baking in the oven. Dinner will be served in no time!
Enjoy your homemade Shake and Bake chicken! There are so many things you can do with this easy recipe, from making a crispy chicken sandwich to chopping it up for a salad — the options are endless!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Homemade Shake and Bake Chicken Recipe
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin on chicken thighs and legs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Shake and Bake Seasoning Mix
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs finely ground
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set a wire rack on top. Spray it with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large Ziplock bag, add the panko, cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, thyme, oregano, and pepper. Seal the bag and gently shake to combine; set aside.2 cups Panko bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1½ teaspoons ground paprika, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rub the chicken pieces evenly with the oil. Place one piece of chicken in the Ziplock bag and shake gently to coat, then place it on the wire rack. Repeat with remaining pieces.3 pounds bone-in, skin on chicken thighs and legs, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Serve immediately.
- To prevent sogginess, the pieces of chicken shouldn’t touch while cooking. Pieces set too close together could cause the breading to stick to itself and come off of the chicken, and it could also slow down the cooking process or steam the chicken rather than crisping it.
- To reheat, place the chicken pieces in a baking dish covered in foil in a 350℉ for about 10 minutes.
Leave a Review