This Crispy Oven Fried Chicken is baked to perfection, juicy on the inside and wonderfully crispy on the outside. This is such a quick and easy chicken recipe, ready in around 30 mins. A delicious and healthier take on fried chicken.
This crispy oven fried chicken delivers perfect crunch and flavor. The inside is juicy, not dried out. What more could you ask for in “fried chicken” that’s baked without being drenched in grease!
A quick coat of the drumsticks in a delicious but simple marinade, then pop in the oven for 35 mins, so easy!
How To Make Crispy Oven Fried Chicken – Step By Step
(Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions)
What To Serve With Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
This crispy oven fried chicken goes well with a variety of sides!
If you are after something more starchy, then you could couple up with The Best Mashed Potato Recipe!
Can You Store Crispy Oven Fried Chicken In The Freezer?
Yes! For the best results later, freeze the chicken properly. This means putting it in an airtight container, such as a tightly sealed heavy-duty freezer bag. For added insurance, wrap the freezer bag in aluminum foil. Correctly stored, frozen fried chicken can last up to four months.
For reheating frozen fried chicken. Thaw the frozen leftover fried chicken in the microwave until the temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit as measured with a food thermometer, then cook in a preheated oven (440F), for 3 minutes.
Can I Swap Out The Butter?
Both olive oil and vegetable oil just don’t deliver the best flavors for this recipe. I just don’t recommend oven baking it with them. If you’d like to coat the chicken and pan fry the chicken in vegetable oil you can, but butter is best!
Crispy and Juicy Chicken
Start the baking process with the skin side down, this gives it the longest time to render the fat out in direct contact with the hot pan ensuring that you end up with crispy skin.
Top Tips For Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- Use a baking pan for this dish not a baking sheet, there will be butter in the pan and chicken fat that renders out during cooking.
- You can coat the chicken and let it sit on a baking sheet while you’re waiting for the oven to preheat.
- Once you remove the baking dish from the oven remove the baked chicken from the baking pan to your plates or a baking sheet to keep it from sitting in the cooling butter as it will start to become soggy.
Check Out These Other Delicious And Crispy Chicken Recipes
- Extra Crispy Baked Chicken Fingers Recipe
- Chicken Nugget Pizza (Crispy Chicken Pizza Recipe)
- Air Fryer General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
- Honey Sesame Chicken Recipe
If you have tried this Crispy Oven Fried Chicken recipe, or any other recipe on my blog, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Oven Fried Chicken
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 2 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- In a large bowl add yogurt and salt
- Mix well with a spoon
- Add drumsticks in bowl and coat with yogurt mixture
- Cover bowl with cling film
- Marinate for 2-4 hours in the fridge
For Oven Fried Chicken:
- Preheat oven at 180C/350F
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and place a cooling rack on top of it
- Spray the cooling rack with non-stick cooking spray
- In a separate large bowl add flour, paprika, onion and garlic powder. Mix well
- Remove drumstick from marinade. Pat slightly with tissue paper to remove excess marinade
- Place drumstick in bowl with flour and coat it thoroughly with flour mixture
- Place drumstick on oven rack
- Repeat process with all drumsticks
- Melt butter in microwave for 10 second intervals
- Drizzle melted butter over drumsticks
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown and thoroughly cooked
- If drumsticks brown a bit too much, carefully remove baking sheet from oven, cover drumsticks with aluminum foil and continue baking