Chicken nuggets are always a family favorite and my homemade version is ridiculously delicious! Ready to serve in 30 minutes, these breaded nuggets are shallow fried and perfectly seasoned.
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
These homemade chicken nuggets are a favorite here! Perfectly crispy and super easy to make, you can serve them as an appetizer with your favorite dips or as a main with a side of fries and salad or veggies.
Why you will love these homemade chicken nuggets!
- Quick: This is a great 30 minute recipe that requires a few simple ingredients.
- Crispy: The seasoned breadcrumb coating on the chicken is super crispy and so satisfying when you bite into it!
- Easy to make gluten-free: Simply use GF breadcrumbs if you are sensitive to gluten.
Download My Top 10 Chicken eBook
Subscribe and receive a free e-cookbook of our Top 10 Easy Chicken Recipes!download now
How to make homemade chicken nuggets
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Prep: Cut the chicken into pieces. Set up your dredging station.
- Make: Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mix then coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Cook: Heat the oil in a skillet and fry the chicken pieces on both sides until cooked through.
Can you cook these in the oven?
We much preferred these chicken nuggets fried as they come out so wonderfully crispy. You can oven bake them if you prefer though. Place the breaded nuggets on a sheet pan and bake in a pre heated oven at 400F for 20 minutes.
Can you make these ahead of time?
These nuggets are best served as soon as they are cooked so that they are nice and crispy. You can bread the chicken pieces and keep them covered in the fridge up to a day before.
Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before you are going to fry it so that it cooks through evenly.
What do you serve with chicken nuggets?
If you want to serve these nuggets as a main, you can’t go wrong with a side of fries! You can also serve them with a fresh side salad or veggies like green beans or broccoli. They are great served as an appetizer – try some of these dips:
- Sweet Chili
Perfectly Cooked Chicken
Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces. The chicken is fully cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
More Recipe Notes and Tips
- Take care not to overcrowd the pan when frying. I cooked the chicken in three batches.
- I used canola oil for frying, vegetable or sunflower will also work well.
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 ½ cups oil approximately
- Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise and then cut into chunks, approximately 1 ½ x 1 ½ x ½ inch. Try to keep the pieces a similar size to ensure even cooking times.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk and honey.
- In a second small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, italian seasoning, and parsley.
- Dip each chicken piece in the egg mixture and then the breadcrumb mixture. Place the breaded chicken on a plate until all are finished.
- Pour oil into a large skillet to a depth of 1 inch. Heat oil at medium high. When oil is hot, cook chicken in small batches for three minutes. Do not crowd the pan. Flip chicken over and cook for an additional two minutes, checking that chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Remove chicken with tongs and place on a plate, lined with paper towel, to drain. Serve immediately with your favourite dipping sauce.
- I cooked the chicken in three batches.
- I used canola oil.
- Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
- I tried baking some of these, but the fried ones were preferred by everyone in my family!