This easy BBQ Chicken Salad Recipe is sure to be your new favorite salad! It’s a hearty salad that features corn, tomatoes, avocado, BBQ chicken and more all tossed on top of leafy greens. It’s simple and SO satisfying!
What’s in this BBQ Chicken Salad Recipe
As much as I love some good BBQ chicken, I don’t know if it’s my favorite part of this salad recipe because there are so many other amazing ingredients at play!
- Chicken Breasts: These get cooked to perfection on your stovetop in no time!
- Olive Oil: You can use avocado oil instead if preferred.
- BBQ Rub: All-purpose seasoning will also do the trick.
- Romaine Lettuce: This serves as the leafy base of our salad.
- Black Beans: Make sure to fully drain the can of black beans before adding them to the salad.
- Roma Tomatoes: You can use beefsteak or tomatoes on the vine if you’d like. Just make sure they’re chopped into small pieces.
- Corn: You can use fresh, frozen, or canned corn in this recipe.
- Red Onion: If you want your red onions to be a little tamer, soak the slices in water for about 15 minutes. Drain, pat dry, then add to the salad.
- Cheese: You can use mozzarella or Monterrey Jack cheese, both are delicious!
- Avocado: Give your avocado a gentle squeeze before slicing. If it’s super soft, it’s too ripe. If it’s very hard and has no give to it, it’s not quite ripe enough.
- Tortilla Strips: I love the satisfying crunch that these give the salad.
- BBQ Sauce: You can use homemade BBQ sauce or your favorite store-bought bottle.
- Ranch Dressing: Really send this salad over the top by serving it with homemade ranch dressing!
- Cilantro: This is an optional (and highly recommended) garnish.
PRO TIP: When it comes to salad recipes of all kinds, try your best to get the freshest ingredients possible for the best results every time!
Do I have to use my stovetop to cook the chicken?
Nope! If you’re in the grilling mood, you can make some grilled BBQ chicken to toss on top of this salad.
This is a really hearty salad that’s packed full of healthy ingredients! There’s plenty of fresh veggies for a good helping of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and a healthy helping for fiber and protein from the chicken and beans.
Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken breast. Once it reaches 165°F, the meat is fully cooked and safe to eat.
It only takes 20 minutes to toss this tasty meal together! It only takes about 10 minutes to cook the chicken. If you prefer, you can oven bake the chicken breast, but it will take longer, around 25-30 minutes. It’s a great option though if you want to be hands off and get on with other things!
How to Store
This BBQ chicken salad is a great weeknight meal, but you can also make the elements ahead of time for easy lunches in the week. You can cook the chicken and keep it covered in the fridge for three to four days.
Prep the salad ingredients separately and keep in an airtight container. You can then make the salads up and add the dressing for an easy to grab working lunch.
This salad makes a great lunch AND dinner option! Serve it any time of the day for your family, friends, or keep it all to yourself.
More Healthy Chicken Recipes We Love
- Blackened Chicken
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Easy Bruschetta Chicken
- Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Caprese Chicken
- Harvest Chicken Salad
- Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
BBQ Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 pound uncooked chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon BBQ rub or all purpose seasoning
- 6-7 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 can 15 ounces black beans, drained
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 cup corn off the cob, canned, or frozen
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- BBQ sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Chopped Cilantro optional
- Cook the chicken: Rub the olive oil and seasoning over the chicken. Cook the chicken in a skillet on the stove or on the grill, about 4 minutes per side until cooked through.
- Prepare the salad: Place the lettuce in a large bowl. Arrange the chicken, black beans, tomato, corn, red onion, cheese, avocado, and tortilla strips on top. Drizzle the BBQ sauce and ranch dressing over the top. Top with chopped cilantro if desired. Enjoy!