This Huli Huli chicken recipe is about to become your go-to summer dish! Succulent chicken, in a sweet and tangy marinade, perfect with grilled pineapples!
This Huli Huli Chicken recipe gives you chicken thighs (or breasts) marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, garlic and ginger then grilled to tender perfection. A tropical meal that’s easy to make and is a hands down crowd pleaser!
Why this is so good
- Perfect for BBQ’s. This is an awesome grilled dish chicken recipe. Vibrant, succulent chicken with lovely char lines, so good!
- A delicious marinade. Sweet, tangy and utterly addictive.
- So easy! A simple marinade, then whack on the grill with some pineapple chunks – done!
- Chicken: Thighs or breasts work best.
- Brown Sugar
- Soy Sauce
- Vinegar: I’ve used rice vinegar
- Ginger: Freshly minced
- Garlic: Freshly minced
- Garnish: Cilantro and green onions.
How to make this Huli Huli Chicken recipe
Be sure to scroll to the bottom for the full recipe
Make the marinade by whisking together the marinade ingredients in a large dish or sealable plastic bag. Then place the chicken in the marinade for at least 2 hours. Save half the marinade for cooking.
Oil your grill racks and grill the chicken for around 20 mins on medium. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and green onions.
Serve with grilled pineapple and enjoy!
What is Huli Huli Chicken?
The Huli Huli Chicken recipe was born around 1955, in Hawaii, when Ernest Mogado and Mike Asagi began grilling chicken in a sauce similar to teriyaki sauce. They used a make-shift spit and yelled “huli” which means “turn” every time they flipped the chicken and then basted it in the huli huli sauce. Awesome huli huli chicken was created!
Which is better – chicken breast or thigh?
Thigh or breast work equally great! People love thighs because of the flavor they have, but chicken breasts are equally as good. And breasts are a little healthier too. It’s such an easy chicken recipe, make some of each!
Can I bake Huli Huli Chicken?
Yes indeed! Keep the tropical vibes going in the winter months by baking this sweet and tangy chicken.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. It’s best to sear the chicken on the stove top over medium high heat with a little bit of olive oil. Sear each piece of chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side. Then line a baking dish with foil and place the seared chicken in the dish. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Brush the chicken with your reserved huli huli sauce and then bake uncovered for another 15 minutes.
What to serve with this Huli Huli Chicken recipe
As I’ve mentioned, grilled pineapples perfectly complement the sweet/sour flavors of the marinade. But you could also amp it up your meal with some mac n cheese or grilled veggies like lemon asparagus.
Make it Gluten Free
To make this a gluten free chicken recipe, you just need to use GF soy sauce.
More Top Tips
- Rub a little oil onto the (clean and preheated) grates right before cooking so the chicken doesn’t stick.
- Huli huli chicken can be reheated in the microwave or in the oven. If you use the microwave, be sure to not overheat it.
- Huli huli chicken will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Store it in an airtight container.
Other delicious grilled chicken recipes
- Grilled Balsamic Chicken
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Grilled Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
- Buffalo Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Have you tried this Huli Huli Chicken recipe? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 rice vinegar
- 1 small knob ginger minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 pounds chicken thighs or breasts
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped green onions
- To make the marinade, whisk together the brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and garlic together in a sealable plastic bag or large dish. Reserve 1/2 cup of the marinade for cooking. Place the chicken in the marinade and let it marinate overnight for the best flavor or at least 2 hours.
- Oil the racks of the grill. Heat the grill to medium. Place the chicken on the grill, cooking for 20-25 minutes. Every 5 minutes, flip the chicken and baste with the reserved marinade. The chicken is finished once the internal temperature of the thickest part of the thigh or breast reaches 165 degrees.
- Finish with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro and green onions. Serve with grilled pineapple if desired.