Chicken with 40 Cloves Garlic is a classic French recipe that’s easier to make than you may think. Aromatic herbs, fresh citrus, honey, simple seasonings and of course plenty of fresh garlic come together to create the most beautifully flavorful chicken!
What’s in Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
This stunning restaurant quality entree is so easy to make at home with simple ingredients!
- Chicken Leg Quarters: This is the best cut of chicken for this recipe, since they are stronger in flavor and cook perfectly every time.
- Garlic: You’ll need whole heads of garlic AND some peeled garlic cloves.
- Olive Oil: Try to use some good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Orange Juice: The acidity of the freshly squeezed orange juice helps to develop the other flavors.
- Honey: Along with a subtle touch of natural sweetness, honey also helps to brown the chicken.
- Seasonings: Just a little salt and pepper are needed to help enhance the main ingredients.
- Herbs: Ground thyme and dry rosemary leaves add a wonderful herbaceous element to this recipe. You can also add fresh rosemary stems to enhance this flavor even more if you’d like.
PRO TIP: Check out this video to see how to peel garlic quickly!
Can you make 40 clove chicken with skinless chicken?
Yes! Any cut of chicken you like most will work for this garlic chicken recipes. If you decide to go the skinless route, I recommend using boneless skinless chicken thighs so the final results are still as tender as they’d be with leg quarters.
If you’re not sure, I always recommend using a meat thermometer to check on chicken. Insert it into the thickest part of the chicken. Once it reads 165°F, it’s fully cooked and ready to eat.
On average, you can find about 10-12 cloves of garlic in a single bulb. Of course, this varies depending on the size of the garlic bulbs.
Of course, this chicken tastes like garlic. But to be more specific, it tastes like roasted garlic! Roasted garlic is much more tame than other forms of garlic and it’s delightfully soft, easy to spread, and even a little sweet.
How to Store and Reheat
In an airtight container in the refrigerator, this sheet pan garlic chicken will stay fresh for about 3-4 days. While you can reheat it in the microwave, it’s even better when warmed up in the oven.
Wondering what to serve with chicken with 40 cloves of garlic? This roasted chicken is super versatile and can be served with everything from a side salad to steamed vegetables or roasted potatoes. It can easily take centre-place on a holiday table too as a turkey alternative.
More Sheet Pan Recipes We Love
- Sheet Pan Chicken Caprese Bake
- Shake and Bake Chicken
- Spatchcock Chicken with Garlic and Herbs
- BBQ Chicken Nachos
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Broccoli
- Sheet Pan Pesto Chicken and Vegetables
Chicken with 40 Cloves Garlic
- 3 chicken leg quarters
- 40 garlic cloves peeled
- 3 whole heads of garlic
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp dry rosemary leaves
- 3 fresh rosemary stems optional
- Preheat oven 350F
- Chop off the top ½ inch of the whole garlic heads
- In a sheet pan add chicken legs, whole garlic heads, 40 garlic cloves
- In a bowl add olive oil, juice of orange, thyme, dry rosemary, black pepper, salt, honey
- Mix with a fork then drizzle mixture over chicken and garlic
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until chicken is golden brown and cooked through
- Serve with fresh rosemary stems and enjoy!
This recipe was contributed by Michaella at Well + Yum.