This Chicken Tamale Casserole is a simple, easy and delicious way to have the flavors of tamales on a weeknight! The crispy, crumbly cornbread is topped with shredded cheese, chicken and a host of Mexican flavors and baked to perfection in the oven – what’s not to love!
Want Tamales but don’t have the time? This Chicken Tamale Casserole is a quick and easy take on the traditional tamales. This is a filling, flavor packed meal that’ll satisfy the hungriest of bellies during the week! It really is such a cinch to whip up, this could easily be a weeknight staple.
How To Make This Chicken Tamale Casserole – Step By Step
(Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions.)
Can You Freeze This Chicken Tamale Casserole?
Once baked, allow to cool, then cover the casserole tightly with aluminum foil, then wrap again in plastic wrap and place in the freezer. Keep it in the freezer for up to three months.
When you are ready to bake it, place the casserole in the refrigerator to thaw overnight, then bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until heated through.
When you mix up your batter in your favorite batter bowl, fear not if it’s a little lumpy! A good stainless steel balloon whisk works well for this job, but take care not to overwork the batter to remove the lumps; that can cause the corn muffin base in this recipe to become tough and chewy, not a good thing!
An Easy Casserole
Quick, easy and delicious, just what you need for a busy weeknight. It feels like a treat but requires little effort. The cornbread mix is just three ingredients and the filling is six. One bowl to mix the batter and one for the filling, then into a baking dish. 30 mins in the oven and done!
Keep things simple
To make things extra easy, you can use rotisserie chicken. Just shred and use! Easy peasy.
Top Tips For Chicken Tamale Casserole
- Use a preheated oven.
- If you want your chicken tamale casserole a bit spicier, you can go for a spicy enchilada sauce.
- Top with your favorite taco toppings, sour cream and cilantro.
Check Out These Other Delicious Mexican Inspired Dishes
- Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
- Best Chicken Enchilada Dip Recipe
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Salad
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Have you tried this Chicken Tamale Casserole recipe? Feel free to leave a star rating below and I’d love to hear from you in the comments.
Chicken Tamale Casserole
- 2 packages 6.5-8.5 ounces each cornbread mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 1 can 4 oz diced green chiles
- 2 cans 10 ounces each red enchilada sauce
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk the cornbread ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. Pour the mixture into the bottom of a greased 9×13 casserole dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through in the middle and the edges are golden brown. Use the back of a wooden spoon to make a few small holes in the cornbread.
- Combine the chicken, black beans, corn, green chiles, and half of the enchilada sauce in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the cornbread layer. Top with the remaining enchilada sauce and the cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted to your liking.
- Top with your favorite taco toppings such as cilantro and sour cream.