Blackened Chicken Tacos are one of our favorite fun easy chicken recipes for any day of the year! This Spicy Chicken Tacos Recipe is easy to prepare, and sure to please everyone from kids to adults. One of our favorite easy taco recipes!
Tacos, Tacos, Tacos!!! That is my answer when asked “what would you choose if you could only eat one food for the rest of your life?”. Tacos are just so exciting and delicious, I could never get bored of them! These Blackened Chicken Tacos are no exception! They are exploding with flavor and are a great dinner option any time of the year!
What is blackened chicken?
Blackened is a cooking technique where chicken (or other protein) is first dredged in a mix of spices and then cooked in butter over high heat. “Blackened” refers to the black crust that results on the exterior of the chicken.
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Blackened Chicken (Spicy Chicken Tacos)
For this blackened chicken recipe we use a mixture of smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander, black pepper and salt.
Other ingredients for blackened chicken tacos:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- lime juice
- bell pepper
How to Make Blackened Chicken Tacos – Step by Step
You will see in the recipe card below step by step instructions for how to make blackened chicken, and how to turn that blackened chicken into the most amazing spicy chicken tacos recipe!
To assemble your Blackened Chicken Tacos start with a small flour tortilla. Spread with a thin layer of sour cream. Top that with the blackened chicken and sauteéd pepper and onions. Then as toppings as you please! Toppings include:
- black beans
- cherry tomatoes
- queso fresco
Repeat with all tortillas and enjoy!
Side dishes to serve with Spicy Chicken Tacos:
I love these Chicken Tacos any day of the year, whether as an appetizer for game day or as a main course for Cinco de Mayo. You just simply can’t go wrong!
Hungry for more? Here are some other Easy Chicken Recipes we LOVE!
- Easy Chicken Mole
- Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Salad
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
- Quinoa Chicken Fried Rice
- Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Chicken and Sweet Potato Enchiladas
Blackened Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup onions sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 small flour tortillas
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup black beans drained
- 1 avocado sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 oz queso fresco
- fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 radish sliced (for garnish)
- Pat chicken breasts dry, slice into strips (no larger than ½ inch wide)
- Add the remaining chicken ingredients to a large bowl, whisk to combine into a spice mixture
- Add the chicken strips to the bowl, toss in the spice mixture to coat
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium high heat
- Add the chicken strips, cook for a few minutes* on each side until chicken is cooked through
- Set chicken aside
- Use the same pan you cooked the chicken in, do not clean**
- Add 2 tbsp butter and heat to medium-high again
- Add the onions and peppers
- Sauté until they begin to soften, don’t let them cook too long that they become mushy
- Set Aside
- To assemble the tacos, spread a thin layer of sour cream onto each tortilla
- Top with the blackened chicken, peppers and onions
- Add black beans, avocado and cherry tomatoes
- Sprinkle with queso fresco and cilantro
- Garnish with a few slices of radish