Baked Salsa Chicken is a no-brainer of a meal! Quick, easy and delicious, it’ll quickly become a family favorite. Succulent, cheese slathered chicken in a tangy sauce, serve with beans and rice!
Spice up your poultry with this gorgeous and simple Baked Salsa Chicken! Take your favorite prepared salsa and a handful, then bake! There’s very little prep involved so it’s perfect for those busy weeknights!
Table of Contents
How To Make This Baked Salsa Chicken – Step By Step
Rub the olive oil and taco seasoning over the chicken breasts until evenly coated, then pour 1 cup of salsa in the bottom of a greased baking dish.
Place the chicken breasts in the dish, and pour the remaining salsa over the top. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Top the chicken with shredded cheese and return to the oven, cooking for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Sprinkled chopped cilantro and cotija cheese over the chicken and serve.
See the recipe card below for full details!
An Easy One Pot Meal
This baked salsa chicken is baked in one-pot. So quick to pull together for a speedy and delicious weeknight dinner. It’s one of those meals that you probably already have all the ingredients in your house.
Grab that unopened jar of salsa that you bought too much of! Quickly layer everything in the pan and baked in the oven for 30 minutes.
What Temperature Do You Bake Chicken?
I bake my chicken breasts at 375 degrees F and should usually take around 30 mins to cook. You can cut into the chicken to make sure it’s not pink.
A meat thermometer (click for my favorite (aff) inserted into the thickest part of the chicken should read 165 degrees F when the chicken is ready. You can read more about safe internal temperatures for chicken and more on our meat temperature guide (free printable!).
Baked Salsa Chicken Tacos!
You can serve this salsa chicken as is, with a side of rice. Or you can cut the cooked chicken into strips and serve up a side of warm tortillas, rice, and beans for people to make tacos with!
But why stop there? You can make burrito bowls, quesadillas or even to a salad.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- For a quicker cooking time, cut larger chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create thinner pieces of meat.
- You can use any type of salsa you like, the standard would be a mild red salsa. Other great options are green salsa, chipotle salsa, or even enchilada sauce.
- You can top the salsa chicken with sour cream and green onions.
Make it a meal!
You can make this recipe a complete meal by adding some black beans and corn to the pan along with the salsa.
Check Out These Other Delicious Baked Chicken Recipes
- Easy Baked Chicken Recipe
- Butter Baked Chicken
- Baked Chicken Fingers
- Garlic And Herb Baked Chicken Wings
Have you tried this Baked Salsa Chicken recipe? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
Baked Salsa Chicken Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts around 2 pounds total
- 1 jar 16 ounces your favorite chunky salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Cotija cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Rub the olive oil and taco seasoning over the chicken breasts until evenly coated.
- Pour 1 cup of salsa in the bottom of a greased baking dish.
- Place the chicken breasts in the dish, and pour the remaining salsa over the top.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Top the chicken with shredded cheese and return to the oven, cooking for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkled chopped cilantro and cotija cheese over the chicken and serve.