Baked Salsa Chicken is an easy weeknight dinner that’s filling, flavorful, and only requires about 5 minutes of prep! Juicy, tender chicken breasts are seasoned to perfection and slathered with salsa and cheese. This chicken dinner is anything but bland!
What’s in this Salsa Chicken Recipe?
Chicken breasts are all dressed up with simple pantry staples like taco seasoning, salsa, and more!
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts work best, or swap it for boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Olive Oil: You can use avocado oil instead if you’d like.
- Taco Seasoning: This season blend adds a delicious flavor. You can use homemade taco seasoning or store-bought.
- Salsa: Use a jar of your favorite chunky salsa. Any brand works! This ingredient is an easy way to change the flavor of the dish.
- Cheddar Cheese: I like to freshly shred my cheddar cheese for the best flavor and consistency.
- Cilantro: My favorite fresh garnish for this baked salsa chicken!
- Cojita Cheese: This is an optional but highly recommended garnish.
Pro Tip: For a quicker cooking time, cut larger chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create thinner pieces of meat.
Can I make baked salsa chicken spicy?
To add some spice to this easy baked chicken recipe, use a spicy salsa instead of mild or medium salsa. You can also add some extra cayenne pepper to your taco seasoning blend.
As for spicy garnishes, a little bit of hot sauce and some fresh jalapeños go a long way!
A meat thermometer (click for my favorite (aff) inserted into the thickest part of the chicken should read 165°F when the chicken is ready.
You can use any type of salsa you like. Use a red salsa, something mild or spicy, salsa verde, chipotle salsa, or even enchilada sauce.
At 375°F, these chicken breasts should be fully cooked and safe to eat in just 30 minutes. Be sure to use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
How to Store and Reheat
Once cooled to room temperature, transfer your leftovers to an airtight container and pop them in the fridge. Properly stored, baked salsa chicken will stay fresh for about 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or right back in the oven until warmed through.
You can serve this salsa chicken as is with a simple side of rice. Or you can cut the cooked chicken into strips and serve it up with a side of warm tortillas, rice, and beans for people to make tacos with!
But why stop there? You can make burrito bowls, quesadillas, or even add the sliced chicken to a salad.
Baked Salsa Chicken Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts around 2 pounds total
- 1 jar 16 ounces your favorite chunky salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Cotija cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Rub the olive oil and taco seasoning over the chicken breasts until evenly coated.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning, 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Pour 1 cup of salsa in the bottom of a greased baking dish.1 jar
- Place the chicken breasts in the dish, and pour the remaining salsa over the top.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Top the chicken with shredded cheese and return to the oven, cooking for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted.1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sprinkled chopped cilantro and cotija cheese over the chicken and serve.1 tablespoons chopped cilantro, Cotija cheese