These Crockpot BBQ Chicken Drumsticks feature an easy homemade BBQ sauce that is to die for! Everything cooks together simply in the Crock Pot, and at the end of the day, you’re ready to eat these slow cooker BBQ chicken legs. This is our go-to easy family meal when we are craving bbq chicken on weeknights.
What’s in Crockpot BBQ Drumsticks?
This slow cooker chicken drumsticks recipe is cooked in a delicious homemade barbecue sauce made of ketchup, orange juice, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, honey, and parsley to make the perfect busy weeknight dinner. The entire family will love these sauces drumsticks!
Can I use chicken legs or thighs instead of drumsticks?
Yes! I use this Crockpot recipe for BBQ drumsticks, thighs, or whole chicken legs, depending on what I have on hand. Everything just goes straight into the slow cooker. Use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken is fully cooked through, but because this is a slow cooker recipe, there shouldn’t be a huge difference in timing for each piece.
How to Store and Reheat
After removing them from the Crockpot and letting them cool, store BBQ chicken legs in a large resealable bag or airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
To reheat, wrap the drumsticks in aluminum foil and place in the oven at 350°F until heated through.
How to Freeze
Place slow cooker BBQ drumsticks in a freezer bag or freezer safe container. It will keep for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge before reheating.
I personally like this recipe best with chicken drumsticks, but you can still use other types of chicken too. Chicken legs, breasts, tenderloins, or thighs will all work fine for this recipe.
To keep your chicken drumsticks juicy and tender, make sure to keep the heat on low at all times. If you try to speed up the cooking time by raising the temperature, you run the risk of drying out the meat or possibly undercooking the meat.
Throw some chicken legs or drumsticks in the Crockpot, add the BBQ sauce, let it cook, and you’ll have a delicious dinner ready to go!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2.5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8-10 chicken drumsticks
- In a small bowl, stir together all the ingredients except the chicken.3/4 cup ketchup, 1/3 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons honey, 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 cup water, 2.5 tablespoons cornstarch
- Place chicken in a large slow cooker set on low heat.8-10 chicken drumsticks
- Pour the ketchup mixture over the chicken, using a spoon to make sure all the chicken is coated.
- Cook for 5-6 hours on low or until chicken is fully cooked.
- After chicken is cooked, you can serve as is or take 2 cups of the bbq sauce/cooking liquid and heat in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until it’s thickened to your liking.