This easy slow cooker chicken enchilada soup is the perfect Mexican comfort food. Made with simple ingredients, this flavorsome soup is the perfect dump and go recipe.
As the weather turns cooler, my thoughts head to soup! We’re massive Mexican food lovers, so this recipe hit all of the right notes! It’s so easy to make and it’s perfect for meal prep too! It’s full of hearty and nutritious ingredients the whole family will love!
An effortless slow cooker chicken enchilada soup recipe!
I love making soups in my slow cooker, you can just pop all of the ingredients in, set in on low or high depending on your schedule, and there’s no watching or stirring of bubbling pots. It truly is healthy convenience at its best! The chicken is cooked perfectly and because it is slow cooked, the flavors are super rich!
How long can you keep homemade soup?
The beauty of soup is that it stores so well, in fact I often make a double batch for easy to grab meals. Let the soup cool to room temperature and then place it in an airtight container and it will keep in the fridge for around 4 days. You can also freeze it, just ensure that the chicken is fully defrosted before reheating it.
A healthier Mexican soup recipe
This chicken enchilada soup is low in fat and each serving contains around 320 calories, so it’s a great lunch option.
The beans and chicken add fiber and protein and there is no added sugar. It’s a nutritious and hearty soup that the whole family will love!
Top Tips to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- You can cook this soup on high for four hours or low for up to 8 hours depending on your schedule.
- Use good quality chicken breast that hasn’t been raised on antibiotics.
- If you’d like to thicken the soup, stir in 1/2 cup of cornmeal. It will give the soup a hearty texture and a slight corn tortilla flavor.
- You can serve the soup with a dollop of sour cream, fresh jalapenos and tortilla strips.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can black beans 14.5 ounces
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles 10 ounces
- 1 can red enchilada sauce 10 ounces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup cornmeal optional* see note
- Add the onion, garlic, cumin, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, and chicken broth to a slow cooker. Stir to combine. Then, place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred. Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and stir in the cornmeal if using. Season to taste with salt.
- Before serving, let the soup rest in the slow cooker for a few minutes so it can thicken and so the shredded chicken can soak up all the flavors.