Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is a true set it and forget it recipe that always satisfies! Chicken is cooked until tender and ready to shred in a bold medley of chicken broth, red enchilada sauce, corn, black beans, tomatoes and more.
Why we love this Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
This effortless chicken enchilada soup is a staple in my home, especially when it’s cold outside. Here’s why I make it so often:
- Easy: Toss everything in a Crockpot, let it do all the work for you, shred the chicken and enjoy. When you have a crazy day, you’ll love having this easy homemade dinner waiting for you!
- Filling: There’s so much protein from both the black beans and chicken. I love how filling and hearty this comforting soup is.
- Flavorful: The red enchilada sauce, garlic and cumin really seal the deal on that savory flavor.
Can I thicken the soup?
Yes! If you’d like to thicken the soup, stir in 1/2 cup of cornmeal. It will give the soup a hearty texture and a slight corn tortilla flavor.
How to Store and Reheat
Once the enchilada soup cools off, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat it in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until warmed all the way through. Stir each time it stops.
How to Freeze
It’s important to let the soup fully cool to room temperature prior to storing! Once cooled, transfer it to a large zip-top bag and lay it flat on a cutting board. Freeze for 1 hour so it freezes flat – this will help with storage space in your fridge.
Chicken enchilada soup will last for up to 3 months in the freezer. Let it slowly thaw in the fridge prior to reheating.
Chicken enchilada soup is an entire well rounded meal all by itself. If you’d like to pair it with any sides, consider some homemade tortilla chips!
More Chicken Soup Recipes We Love
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Green Chile Chicken Soup
- Crockpot White Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- ½ onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 14.5 ounces black beans 1 can
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chiles 1 can
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce 1 can
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup cornmeal optional* see note
- Add onion, garlic, cumin, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, and chicken broth to a slow cooker. Stir to combine. Then, place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.½ onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon cumin, 14.5 ounces black beans, 2 cups frozen corn, 10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chiles, 10 ounces red enchilada sauce, 2 cups chicken broth, 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred. Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and stir in the cornmeal (if using). Season to taste with salt.½ cup cornmeal
- Before serving, let the soup rest in the slow cooker for a few minutes so it can thicken and the shredded chicken can soak up all the flavors.
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup Step by Step
Slow cook the soup: Add the 1/2 chopped onions, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp cumin, 1 can black beans, 2 cups frozen corn, 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, 1 can enchilada sauce, and 2 cups chicken broth to the Crockpot. Add 2 large chicken breasts. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
Shred the chicken: Transfer the cooked chicken to a bowl and shred with two forks.
Stir: Add the chicken back to the Crockpot. Stir in 1/2 cup cornmeal (if using). Season with salt to taste. Before serving, allow the soup to rest in the Crockpot for a few minutes so the chicken has time to soak up all of the flavor!