This crispy, breaded, oven baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken is a healthier comfort food option that always hits the spot! These chicken thighs may taste fried, but it’s actually baked to avoid all that grease. It’s so easy to make with just 10 minutes of prep time!
What’s in Crispy Breaded Parmesan Chicken
Chicken thighs are all dressed up in this oven baked recipe with simple ingredients like Italian breadcrumbs, a medley of seasonings, and of course plenty of parmesan cheese!
- Chicken: I used chicken thighs, but you can feel free to use breasts if preferred.
- Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan creates a tasty crust on this chicken. Freshly-grated is preferred for the best consistency and flavor.
- Italian Breadcrumbs: I prefer these over Panko because of the added flavor!
- Eggs: This is what helps bind the breading to the chicken.
- Heavy Cream: You can use buttermilk instead if preferred.
- Seasonings: A simple blend of paprika, coarse sea salt, and black pepper are what lend the best flavor to the chicken.
- Butter: It needs to be salted and melted.
- Herbs: Fresh oregano and thyme are great garnishes.
Pro Tip: If you want this recipe to really resemble your favorite fried chicken, try making it with drumsticks. Cook the same way you would the chicken thighs.
Variations on Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Feel free to use another cut of chicken if you’d like! Breasts and drumsticks will both work well with this breaded Parmesan crusted chicken recipe. You can also swap the Italian breadcrumbs with Panko, but keep in mind that both the consistency and flavor will be impacted by that change.
No, but I highly recommend it! Pre-shredded bagged cheese contains an anti-caking powder that effects the consistency of the cheese. Also, freshly grated parmesan has a better overall flavor.
Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat. When it reads 165°F, the chicken is fully cooked and safe to eat. This is always the safest way to check your chicken!
Either option is totally fine! You won’t really notice a big difference with whichever one you choose.
How to Store and Reheat
Leftover baked Parmesan crusted chicken can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days when stored in an airtight container.
Reheat in the oven for a bit to revive that crispy texture. Preheat the oven to 400°F, place the chicken on a pan and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, then enjoy!
How to Freeze Oven Fried Chicken
Once cooled to room temperature, transfer the parmesan crusted chicken thighs to an airtight container, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Once ready to enjoy, let the chicken slowly thaw in the fridge and follow the instructions above to reheat it.
What to Serve with Parmesan Crusted Chicken
More Breaded Chicken Recipes We Love
- Homemade Shake and Bake Chicken
- Country Fried Chicken
- Deviled Chicken
- Chicken Spiedini
- Chicken Schnitzel
- KFC Copycat Recipe
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Crispy Chicken Salad
Oven Fried Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or buttermilk
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 3/4 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon course sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs I used thighs, but you can use breasts if preferred
- 1/4 cup salted butter melted
- fresh oregano and thyme for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray 2 large baking dishes with nonstick spray
- In a small shallow bowl, stir together the beaten eggs and heavy cream.2 eggs, 1/4 cup heavy cream
- In another small shallow bowl, stir together the parmesan, bread crumbs, paprika, salt, and pepper.3/4 cup parmesan cheese, 3/4 cup Italian Bread Crumbs, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon course sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, coating both sides completely. Shake off excess and then dip into the parmesan mixture, pressing down to fully coat the entire chicken with a thick layer.8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Arrange chicken in prepared baking dishes, making sure they don’t touch (if they touch, those sections won’t get crispy).
- Pour melted butter over all the chicken.1/4 cup salted butter
- Cook for approximately 50 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- Serve garnished with fresh oregano or thyme.fresh oregano and thyme for garnish