When you want a crispy, flavorful meat to serve with side dishes, try this Chicken Schnitzel. The thinly-sliced chicken tastes great with its seasoned panko breading crust.
Crispy Fried Chicken Schnitzel Recipe
Are you always looking for new entrees to serve with different side dishes? If you typically bake or broil chicken, try this flavorful Chicken Schnitzel recipe.
Instead of preparing chicken breast the usual way, you will coat it in flour, bread it in panko breadcrumbs, and then fry it in oil before serving.
Why You’ll Love this Easy Chicken Schnitzel:
- Super crispy: It is the perfect meat to eat for those who love crispy foods. The crisp texture takes this chicken to the next level.
- Easy recipe: It is not hard to make. You will only need a few ingredients to use when breading your chicken before frying it.
- Side friendly: You can serve it with lots of sides. It goes great with mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, rice, and more.
How to make Chicken Schnitzel
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Heat your oil in a large pot or skillet until it is hot and ready for you to use.
- Combine your flour and seasonings in one bowl, eggs and water in a second bowl, and the panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Grab plastic wrap, place your chicken breast between it, and use a meat tenderizer to smash the chicken down until it is thinner.
- Dip a piece of chicken into the flour, followed by the egg wash and then the breadcrumbs. Repeat this process with each piece of chicken.
- Add your chicken to the pot or skillet and fry for about two to three minutes per side until your chicken becomes crispy and golden.
What is schnitzel?
Schnitzel is a breaded, fried meat. Some people use chicken, but you can also use pork and other meats. The meat gets pounded down until it becomes thinner before it gets breaded and fried in oil.
What type of chicken do I need for schnitzel?
It is best to use chicken breast to prepare this recipe for Chicken Schnitzel. Some people like to make pork schnitzel using boneless pork loin chops.
What can I use instead of panko?
If you do not have panko breadcrumbs, you can crush crackers into small pieces before using them as the breading for your chicken.
Other alternative breading options include crushed cornflakes or crushed potato chips.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Place your chicken in a warm oven if you do not plan to serve it right away. If you are going to serve it within an hour or so, the warm oven will keep the chicken at the right temperature while keeping it crispy.
- Squeeze a bit of lemon juice from a lemon wedge over your chicken for added flavor that goes great with Chicken Schnitzel.
- Serve with a side of broccoli and seasoned red potatoes to prepare a wholesome, tasty meal.
Chicken Schnitzels is a crispy, tasty entree that you may enjoy eating for dinner. You can always save leftovers and eat them on bread or with various sides for lunch or dinner.
More fried chicken recipes we love
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Crispy Chicken Schnitzel Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Fresh parsley for serving
- Pour 1 ½ inches of oil into a large heavy pot or high-sided skillet. Heat the oil over medium-high heat to 360 degrees F.
- Whisk the flour, paprika, salt, garlic powder, and pepper together in one shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and water. Place breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Place each piece of chicken between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap and use a rolling pin or meat mallet to pound the chicken to ½- to ¼-inch thickness.
- Coat the chicken first in the flour, then dredge in the egg wash, and finally in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry in batches, flipping once, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, season both sides with salt and pepper to taste. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Hold in a warm oven if not serving immediately. Serve garnished with parsley, with lemon wedges on the side.
Leave a Review