Ditch the store bought Teriyaki sauce, this Easy Teriyaki Chicken recipe delivers, sweet and savory in perfect harmony! Succulent chicken, slathered in honey, soy, ginger and so much more – delicious!
This Easy Teriyaki Chicken recipe will take over from takeout! Simple and quick to whip up, the chicken has such a deep flavor and great texture. Pair it up with rice and broccoli for a delicious weeknight meal that feels like a treat but is actually packed with goodness.
How To Make This Easy Teriyaki Chicken – Step By Step
In a large bowl, mix soy sauce, grated ginger, garlic, honey and orange juice, brown sugar. Then add chopped chicken to the bowl, cover with cling film and let marinate for at least 2 hours.
Then, remove chicken from marinade and add in pan and keep the marinade sauce for later, cook chicken for 8 minutes on each side.
Then, in a separate bowl add cold water and dissolve cornstarch. Mix with a fork until smooth.
Add marinate sauce and cornstarch water mixture in pan and add sesame seeds.
Let everything cook for 10 minutes until sauce thickens. Meanwhile in a pot of boiling water, boil broccoli florets for 7-8 minutes, boil rice according to box instructions
Serve teriyaki chicken with rice and broccoli while still hot!
Garnish with fresh spring onions and enjoy!
What Is Teriyaki Sauce Made of?
Teriyaki sauce has four main components: soy sauce, sake (or mirin, if you’re taking it easy on the booze), sugar and ginger. It’s more or less your basic Asian seasoning/marinade. This Easy Teriyaki omits the sake/mirin, but in my opinion is just as good and you’ll most likely have many of the ingredients all ready.
Can You Freeze This Easy Teriyaki Chicken?
Yes indeed! You can either freeze the sauce and pull it out when needed, lasts about 3-4 months in the freezer. Or, You can freeze marinated chicken – defrost in the refrigerator, and it will continue to marinate as it defrosts. Most marinades should be fine to freeze. However, if you’re starting off with chicken that was frozen, you may not want to refreeze it.
Is This Easy Teriyaki Chicken Healthy?
Chicken teriyaki is made with mostly healthy ingredients. Served up with broccoli, even better. That being said, soy sauce is salty, and too much sodium is not good for you. Be sure to use a low sodium soy sauce in this recipe.
Top Tips For Easy Teriyaki Chicken
- If desired use all honey in place of the brown sugar.
- Adjust the saltiness to suite your personal preference, reduce the soy sauce as desired then add more water in it’s place. The ratio here is the balance I like.
- You can add some sesame oil, if you love that flavor.
- In a pinch you can use dried ground ginger in place of fresh, I’d go with 1/2 tsp.
Check Out These Other Delicious Asian Inspired Recipes
Have you tried this Easy Teriyaki Chicken recipe? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Easy Chicken Teriyaki Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 inch knob fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 ½ tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp spring onion chopped
- 2 cups white rice optional
- Cut chicken breast into bite size pieces
- Finely mince garlic and grate ginger
- In a large bowl, add soy sauce, grated ginger, garlic, honey and orange juice, brown sugar
- Mix well with a spoon until all ingredients are well combined
- Add chicken in bowl, cover with cling film and let marinate for at least 2 hours
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick pan on medium heat
- Remove chicken from marinade and add in pan
- Keep marinade sauce for later
- Cook chicken for 8 minutes on each side
- In separate bowl add cold water and dissolve cornstarch. Mix with a fork until smooth.
- Add marinate sauce and cornstarch water mixture in pan
- Add sesame seeds
- Let everything cook for 10 minutes until sauce thickens
- Meanwhile in a pot of boiling water, boil broccoli florets for 7-8 minutes
- Boil rice according to box instructions
- Serve teriyaki chicken with rice and broccoli while still hot!
- Garnish with fresh spring onions and enjoy!