This marinated and baked Cuban Mojo Chicken is so juicy and so tender! It’s topped off with a homemade pineapple avocado salsa that features all fresh ingredients. Make this summery entree for your next party or easy weeknight dinner!
What’s in Cuban Mojo Chicken
Traditionally, the base of the mojo sauce is a mix of citrus juice, garlic and olive oil. For this recipe, we use delicious fresh oranges, together with a combination of herbs, and the outcome is so good!
- Chicken Legs: I like to use free-range organic chicken for the very best results.
- Orange Juice: Freshly squeezed orange juice will create the very best flavor!
- Lime Juice: Don’t use bottled lime juice – the flavor will taste artificial. Freshly squeezed is the way to go!
- Garlic: Fresh garlic is what you need, not pre-minced.
- Seasonings: A medley of cumin, dried oregano, salt, and ground black pepper create the best flavor.
- Olive Oil: You can swap this for avocado oil if preferred.
- Onion: A white onion is preferred but a yellow onion can also be used.
Pro Tip: Marinate the mojo chicken as long as you can (ideally, for at least 3 hours) to get the maximum flavor.
Can I make mojo chicken with other pieces?
I used leg quarters for this easy Cuban chicken, but you can follow the same recipe using other pieces. It will work best with drumsticks or bone-in chicken thighs, but the marinade would be delicious with breasts too.
Use a meat thermometer and insert it into the thickest part of the meat. Cooked chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165ºF.
Ideally, you want to marinate your chicken for three hours in the refrigerator. The more time you allow the chicken to marinate, the more intense and flavorful your chicken will be. You will need a bit of patience and to plan a little ahead, but trust me, it’s worth it! If you are running short on time, marinate at least 20 minutes.
After baking at 350°F for 35 minutes, the chicken should be fully cooked. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
How to Store and Reheat
Once cooled to room temperature, leftover mojo chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat either in the microwave, oven, or air fryer until warmed through.
How to Freeze
Wait for the cuban chicken to cool, then transfer it to an airtight container and pop it in the freezer. Store for up to 3 months and don’t forget to date and label! When you’re ready to serve, let the chicken slowly thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
What to Serve with Cuban Chicken
Steamed rice, black beans, and plantains are the best sides for Cuban mojo chicken. Also, don’t forget to place some summery avocado pineapple salsa on top!
Cuban Mojo Chicken
- 4 bone-in chicken leg quarters
- ½ cup orange juice
- ⅓ lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 lime zest
- ½ tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black ground pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 onion quartered
- ½ avocado
- 4 ounces pineapple diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup black beans rinsed & drained (optional)
- 1 cup steamed rice optional
- Preheat oven at 350°F
- Add to the food processor, orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, lime zest, cumin, oregano, salt, and black ground pepper.½ cup orange juice, ⅓ lime juice, 3 garlic cloves, ¼ cup cilantro, 1 lime zest, ½ tbsp cumin, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp black ground pepper
- Process for 10 seconds. You don’t want the sauce to become too creamy.
- Add the olive oil and process for 5 seconds, just to combine ever so slightly.½ cup olive oil
- Add the chicken and chopped onion in a large bowl.4 bone-in chicken leg quarters, 1 onion
- Pour half of the mojo sauce over the chicken and onions. Cover with cling film, and marinate in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Set aside the remaining half of the mojo sauce for later use.
- When the chicken is done marinating, add chicken and onions the the baking tray, together with the sauce it marinated in.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop up the pineapple, avocado, and cherry tomatoes into small pieces and add them in a small bowl. Mix in the remaining half of Mojo sauce you saved earlier. Your salsa is ready!½ avocado, 4 ounces pineapple, 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- Drizzle pineapple-avocado salsa over baked chicken, serve with steamed rice and beans, and enjoy!½ cup black beans, 1 cup steamed rice
This recipe was contributed by Michaella at Well + Yum.
Leave a Review