Comforting, citrusy, and flavorful Crockpot Lemon Chicken never disappoints! Made with juicy lemons, heads of garlic, and herbs, this easy lemon chicken will quickly become a new favorite dinner recipe.
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Breasts
Lemon and chicken is always a winning flavor combination! Bright and citrusy lemon pairs so well with slowly cooked white meat chicken. While this fresh flavor profile is reminiscent of warmer months, this dinner is delicious year round.
In addition to zesty lemon, each bite of lemon chicken features prominent notes of garlic and herbs. As the chicken breasts slowly cook, the flavors have plenty of time to seep into the meat. Each bite is juicy, mouthwatering, and oh so tender.
Why You’ll Love this Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe:
- FLAVORFUL: Bold and fresh ingredients mingle to create a truly perfect flavor combination.
- EASY: Like many slow cooker recipes, crockpot lemon chicken is quick and easy to prepare.
- VERSATILE: Serve lemon chicken with pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or a side salad. It’s delicious with just about anything!
How to make Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Place the prepared garlic and lemons in a crockpot.
- Season the chicken.
- Brown the chicken in a skillet.
- Add the chicken to the crockpot.
- Combine the liquids and pour on top of the chicken.
- Top with fresh thyme.
Do I need to peel or mince the garlic?
Nope! Simply cut the tops and bottoms off the heads of garlic and place them cut-side down in the bottom of the crockpot. No peeling or mincing required! Because the heads of garlic aren’t stirred with the other ingredients, the papery skin won’t flake off into the rest of the dish.
The same goes for the lemons – no need to peel them. Cut the tops and bottoms off, cut in half, and place in the bottom of the slow cooker.
How long will this slow cooked lemon chicken stay fresh?
Store lemon chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it on the stove or microwave until heated through.
What should I serve with lemon chicken?
Anything goes! I love serving lemon chicken with starchy sides like rice, quinoa, noodles, or mashed potatoes – these tend to soak up any extra sauce that makes it to the plate.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- While the chicken will fully cook in the crockpot, browning the chicken prior to slow cooking adds another depth of flavor. Don’t skip this step!
- For even more lemon flavor, sprinkle a little bit of lemon pepper on top of the chicken breasts just before serving.
- Use fresh lemon juice instead of pre-bottled juice for the best taste.
Crockpot Lemon Chicken comes together easily and is full of fresh, bright flavor!
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes We Love
- Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- Crockpot Tuscan Chicken
- Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe
- 3 heads garlic
- 2 lemons
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon chicken base
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Cut the tops and bottoms off of the garlic heads and lemons. Cut the lemons in half. Place the garlic and lemons in the bottom of the crockpot insert.3 heads garlic, 2 lemons
- Combine the salt, pepper, and oregano in a small bowl. Season both sides of each chicken breast with the seasoned salt mixture.½ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Place the chicken breasts in the skillet to brown, 5 minutes per side.4 tablespoons unsalted butter, 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Transfer the browned chicken to the crockpot and place on top of the garlic and lemons.
- In a pot, whisk the chicken broth, lemon juice, and bouillon together. Pour over the chicken in the crockpot.1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon chicken base
- Place thyme sprigs on top of the chicken.5 sprigs fresh thyme
- Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours. Remove the thyme springs, garnish with fresh parsley, and serve hot.Fresh parsley