Stop everything you’re doing and make this Crockpot Chicken and Rice for dinner! It couldn’t be more delicious or easy to make. Flavor packed brown rice and tender cooked chicken breasts are topped with cheese and slow cooked to perfection.
Cheesy Chicken and Rice
I love plugging in my Crockpot! It means that dinner is going to be tenderly slow cooked to perfection, and it’ll do all the work for me. All I have to do is dump everything in the Crockpot, plug it in, and put the lid on.
With that being said, you guessed it – this is an EASY dinner! Rice and chicken are cooked together then topped off with plenty of cheddar cheese. If you’re making this for kids, you’ll also love it because there are some veggies like peas and carrots snuck in there!
Why You’ll Love this Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe:
- Easy: Slow cooker recipes are always pretty simple, but this one may reign supreme as the easiest Crockpot recipe EVER.
- One Pot Dinner: There’s rice, veggies, and chicken all in one Crockpot. It’s a perfect one pot dinner that’ll require minimal clean up!
- Cheesy: Cheddar cheese is the final addition to this dinner that sends it over the top!
After a long day, why stress over dinner when you can have this chicken and rice waiting for you at home?
How to Make Crockpot Chicken and Rice
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Add all of the ingredients except for the cheese and peas to the Crockpot.
- Stir everything together.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 1/2 – 4 hours.
- Add the frozen peas and half of the shredded cheese.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Serve, and enjoy!
Yes, but it’ll need to be thawed prior to cooking it.
No, there is no need to pre-cook the chicken for this recipe. Add the diced, raw chicken in step 1 and let the Crockpot do the rest!
For best results, use long grain brown rice. Do not substitute any other type of rice as the liquid ratio and cooking times will no longer be accurate.
A one pot Crockpot dinner that’s easy to make and even easier to eat? Count me in!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Use a low sodium chicken broth to keep this recipe less salty.
- Freshly shredded cheddar cheese will yield better texture and flavor than pre-shredded cheese.
- Use fresh, not pre-minced garlic. Also, feel free to add more for a more dominant garlicky taste.
- Don’t forget to add the peas when there’s just 10 minutes left! If you add them too early, they’ll over cook to mush.
As soon as I hear the words chicken, rice, and cheese, I just know it’s gonna be good.
Can I cook this on low instead?
I don’t recommend it. For non-mushy chicken and rice, cook this recipe on high.
Can I use any kind of cheese?
You definitely can! While I prefer cheddar cheese, you can pick your favorite shredded cheese to toss into the Crockpot. Pepper jack, monterrey, or Mexican blend would all be tasty.
What size slow cooker should I use?
An average sized (between 5 to 6 quartz) Crockpot is perfect.
Veggies, rice, diced chicken, and cheddar cheese come together to create a one pot dinner you’re going to love making. Let the Crockpot do all the work, and enjoy this easy, comforting dinner after a long day!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Crockpot Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 1 ½ cups long grain brown rice
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 10.5 ounces cream of chicken soup 1 can
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Spray the slow cooker insert with nonstick spray. Add the rice, onion, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, broth, cream of chicken soup, and diced chicken. Stir until well combined.1 ½ cups long grain brown rice, 1 onion, 2 carrots, 2 cloves garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 3 cups chicken broth, 10.5 ounces cream of chicken soup, 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cover and cook on high for 3 ½ to 4 hours until both the chicken is cooked through and the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Add the frozen peas and half of the shredded cheese. Stir until well mixed.1 cup frozen peas, 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Top with the remaining cheese, cover, and cook on high until the cheese is melted, about 10 more minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.Fresh parsley