This from scratch Vietnamese Chicken and Rice recipe features fresh and bold flavors, sticky coconut rice, and perfectly cooked chicken thighs. It’s never been easier to make this restaurant-style dish at home!
Vietnamese Chicken and Coconut Rice
Stay in tonight and make this classic Vietnamese recipe in the comforts of your own home! Made with lemongrass, soy sauce, fresh lime juice, and more, you’ll enjoy every bite of this flavorful chicken and rice dinner.
Why You’ll Love this Chicken and Rice Recipe:
- FRESH: It doesn’t get fresher than this! Marinate chicken thighs in a from scratch sauce featuring garlic, lemongrass, lime juice, and other flavorful ingredients.
- SWEET AND SAVORY: Serve savory chicken thighs with sweet and sticky coconut rice for the ultimate sweet and savory meal.
- EASY: While it looks impressive, you’ll be surprised at how quickly and easily this chicken dinner comes together.
This impressive meal will leave your family wondering if you ordered takeout!
How to Make Vietnamese Chicken and Rice
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Make the marinade.
- Marinate the chicken.
- Make the coconut rice.
- Cook the chicken.
- Serve and enjoy.
I love using chicken thighs for this recipe. Be sure to use skin-on chicken thighs!
Lemongrass is an herb with a lemony scent and flavor that adds freshness to this marinade.
Instead of a blender, use a food processor to make the marinade.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours (overnight). The longer it marinates, the more flavor it will have.
- While the rice cooks, don’t lift off the lid!
- For the fluffiest rice, use a fork to fluff it up when it’s done cooking.
I love making a batch of this Vietnames-inspired-inspired chicken and rice recipe on the weekend to enjoy for lunches throughout the week!
How do I know when the chicken is cooked through?
Cook the chicken for about 6-7 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
What kind of rice works best?
For best results, use jasmine rice! It’s wonderfully fluffy with a flavor that pairs well with the chicken. Instead of jasmine rice, use the same amount of any long-grain white rice.
How long should I marinate the chicken?
Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
Add this easy, flavorful, and filling Vietnamese chicken and rice recipe to your dinner menu this week!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Vietnamese Chicken and Rice Recipe
For the Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 stalk lemongrass rough chopped
- 1 shallot rough chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
For the Coconut Rice
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 14 ounces coconut milk 1 can
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh mint, cilantro, or basil and thinly sliced cucumbers for garnish
- Add the chicken thighs to a bowl. Set aside.1 ½ pounds skin-on chicken thighs
- Add the lemongrass, shallot, garlic, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon of the oil to a blender. Blend until smooth.1 stalk lemongrass, 1 shallot, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, 2 tablespoons fish sauce, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pour the mixture from the blender over the chicken, toss to combine, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- 5 minutes before cooking the chicken, rinse the jasmine rise under cool water until it runs clear. Place the rinsed rice in a pot with the coconut milk, water, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low for about 18-20 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.2 cups jasmine rice, 14 ounces coconut milk, 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, ½ teaspoon salt
- While the rice cooks, heat the remaining oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Sear the chicken for 6-7 minutes per side, skin-side down, until golden. Serve the chicken over rice with fresh herbs and cucumber slices.Fresh mint, cilantro, or basil and thinly sliced cucumbers
Leave a Review