Chicken Salad is the type of recipe every household loves. This Chicken Salad recipe is simple; loaded with chunks of chicken, grapes, herbs, and a creamy base. The best Summer recipe!
What’s in Chicken Salad?
This easy recipe is bursting with flavor as you’ve never seen before in your run-of-the-mill chicken salad. Full grapes, Dijon mustard, and an array of spices this dish makes for a never-fail crowd pleaser. Don’t think you need to just take my word for it. Try it out yourself now!
- Cooked Chicken: This is the perfect opportunity to use up any leftover chicken you have on hand, or you can shred up a rotisserie chicken with forks.
- Mayonnaise: Makes this chicken salad creamy and holds everything together.
- Dijon Mustard: Adds a bit of tanginess and spice.
- Lemon Juice: Adds a tangy zip.
- Tarragon: Adds a fresh and herbaceous flavor. You can use minced fresh tarragon or ½ teaspoon dried tarragon.
- Herbs de Provence: A spice blend made from rosemary, fennel, thyme, sweet basil, savory leaves, tarragon, lavender, chervil, dill, oregano, and marjoram. It adds a rounded herbal flavor.
- Chives: Add a mild oniony flavor.
- Celery: Adds crunch!
- Grapes: Adds a pop of sweetness.
- Salt + Pepper: Enhances the other flavors.
Pro Tip: If grapes are out of season, try using raisins instead!
Variations on Homemade Chicken Salad
There are lots of ways to modify this recipe. For starters, you could change up the mix-ins. Keep total add-ins to about 2 cups. I love adding grapes, celery, and chives, but chopped walnuts or pecans, dried cranberries, hard-boiled eggs, or avocado would be delicious additions! You could change the flavor slightly by swapping out the tarragon for another fresh herb, like parsley, basil, chives, or dill.
To make this chicken salad a bit healthier, try swapping half of the mayo for plain Greek yogurt. To make it gluten-free, use your favorite gluten-free bread instead of croissants, or serve it over a salad.
Use chopped or shredded cooked chicken. This is a great way to use up leftover chicken or for a shortcut, use a rotisserie chicken.
Chicken salad is packed with lean protein, vitamins, and minerals. However, it is also high in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium. Enjoy chicken salad in moderation.
You can make the chicken salad up to 2 days in advance. Store it in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy.
You can definitely serve this/eat it right after mixing up all the ingredients. With that being said, I do typically like to wait at least a few hours to let everything really combine and mix together. I’d say if you can try to make a batch the night before you want to eat it for the best results. If you really just can’t wait then feel free to dig in immediately!
I do not recommend freezing this chicken salad, as the texture turns gritty and unpleasant once thawed.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover chicken salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy cold. I do not recommend freezing chicken salad.
There’s really no wrong way to eat chicken salad. With a recipe this good, you could eat it almost any way and it will still be amazing! With that being said, there are a few clear front runners when it comes to how to eat chicken salad. I love it as a sandwich made with a rich, buttery croissant, lettuce, and tomatoes. It also makes a great dip served with crackers.
This is where the no shame game comes in. I’ll be honest, I sometimes just eat this right out of the bowl with a fork. I’m not even afraid to admit because it’s just that good. So if you’re really just craving chicken salad and have nothing to put it on, just grab your fork and dig in. For a unique way to eat this, stuff chicken salad in an artichoke!
More Chicken Salad Recipes We Love
Classic Chicken Salad Recipe
- 3 cups cooked chicken meat meat from rotisserie chicken works well
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice from ½ lemon
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- ½ teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 cups grapes halved or quartered (depending how large)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- croissants or favorite bread
- Sliced fresh tomatoes
- Fresh lettuce
- Mix all ingredients (except garnishes), in a large bowl, until well incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.3 cups cooked chicken meat, ½ cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or ½ teaspoon dried tarragon, ½ teaspoon Herbs de Provence, 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives, 2 tablespoons minced celery, 2 cups grapes, kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Serve on croissants or toasted sandwich buns with your favorite toppings.Sliced fresh tomatoes, Fresh lettuce, croissants or favorite bread
- Because the chicken salad contains mayo, keep it refrigerated and don’t leave it at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Rotisserie or leftover roasted chicken is great for this recipe. You can also cook up a couple of breasts to use. Check out my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe that can be used in this.