If you’ve ever visited Panera and have tried their Toasted Frontega Chicken panini, you’ll be glad to know that you can make the delicious sandwich at home. With simple, tasty ingredients, you’ll have the most flavorful panini ready to eat in no time.
Why we love this Panera Frontega Chicken Recipe
If you’re looking for the perfect meal to make for lunch or dinner, try this easy Frontega Chicken Panini recipe. Made with cooked, sliced chicken breast on bread with tomato, mozzarella cheese, red onion, and a few other must-have ingredients, this sandwich will keep you full and satisfied for hours on end.
Variations on a Panera Frontega Chicken
Feel free to change up these sandwiches to meet your family’s tastes. Try these swaps:
- Turkey: Use cooked turkey breasts in place of the chicken.
- Pesto: For a less spicy option, use store-bought or homemade pesto in place of the chipotle mayo.
- Cheese: Swap the mozzarella for your favorite melting cheese, such as goat cheese, cheddar, or Monterey jack.
How to Store and Reheat
Although I recommend enjoying your toasted Frontega chicken paninis the day they are made, store leftover paninis in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Lightly toast or bake in a 350°F oven for 5-8 minutes to reheat.
Serve this tasty toasted Frontega chicken panini with chips, french fries, a side salad, or an apple!
This panini is a copycat recipe for the popular Toasted Frontega Chicken sandwich at Panera Bread. It includes chicken, mozzarella, tomatoes, red onions, basil, and chipotle mayonnaise on focaccia bread.
A hearty Italian bread will stand up best to the high heat. I recommend focaccia, but you could also use ciabatta.
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are commonly found in the Mexican or international aisle of grocery stores. If your local grocery store does not carry them, make your own replacement by mixing 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, a pinch of garlic powder, and a pinch of salt together. Use this mixture in place of the 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Absolutely! If you don’t have a panini press, set a nonstick frying pan or a cast iron skillet over medium heat and press down on the panini with a spatula, flipping once to evenly toast both sides.
More Chicken Sandwich Recipes We Love
- Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
- Beer Battered Chicken Sandwiches with Hot Honey
- Napa Almond Chicken Salad
- Asiago Ranch Chicken Club
- Juicy Skillet Chicken Burgers
Toasted Frontega Chicken Recipe
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce from 1 can
- 1 loaf focaccia bread cut into quarters and sliced in half horizontally
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves chopped
- Panini Press Optional
- Add the mayonnaise and chipotle peppers to the bowl of a food processor. Add in 1-2 teaspoons of the adobo sauce from the can. Pulse until smooth.½ cup mayonnaise, 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Spread the desired amount of chipotle mayo onto the tops and bottoms of the focaccia.1 loaf focaccia bread
- Layer on sliced chicken, mozzarella cheese, sliced tomato, red onion, and fresh basil.2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, 1 tomato, ½ red onion, 10 fresh basil leaves
- Lightly grease a panini press with olive oil, butter, or nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Press each sandwich for 4-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is crispy. Serve immediately.
How to Make Toasted Frontega Chicken Step by Step
Make the Sauce: Add ½ cup of mayonnaise and 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to the bowl of a food processor. Add in 1-2 teaspoons of the adobo sauce from the can. Pulse until smooth.
Sauce the Bread: Spread the desired amount of chipotle mayo onto the tops and bottoms of the focaccia.
Assemble the Sandwiches: Layer on 2 sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 8 ounces of fresh mozzarella cheese, 1 sliced tomato, ½of a red onion, and 10 leaves of fresh basil.
Press the Paninis: Lightly grease a panini press with olive oil, butter, or nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Press each sandwich for 4-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is crispy. Serve immediately.