One pot Chicken Pesto Pasta is simple enough for busy weeknights and elegant enough for date night! With bright, fresh, and flavorful ingredients, this is a chicken dinner recipe to hold onto.
One Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta
Is there anything better than a one pot chicken dinner on a busy weeknight? I don’t think so! When life gets crazy, I often turn to recipes like this chicken pesto pasta made all in one pot with real, fresh, and flavorful ingredients.
Pesto, cherry tomatoes, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese come together to create a magical sauce that pairs perfectly with pasta noodles and quick-cooking chicken. Ready in just 40 minutes, this is a chicken dinner winner!
Why You’ll Love this Pesto Pasta Recipe:
- ONE POT: Simple yet hearty one pot recipes are a welcome addition to any weeknight dinnertime hustle!
- KID FRIENDLY: The whole family will love this chicken pesto pasta.
- EASY: Homemade pesto pasta with chicken comes together quickly and easily with simple ingredients. No fancy steps or utensils needed!
How to Make Chicken Pesto Pasta
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook the pasta.
- Cook the chicken.
- Simmer the tomatoes.
- Add the garlic, broth, and pesto.
- Let the sauce simmer. Add the Parmesan.
- Add the chicken and pasta.
- Toss to combine and serve.
I love using boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. Instead of chicken breasts, use chicken thighs.
Absolutely. If using frozen chicken breasts, let them thaw in the refrigerator before using in the recipe.
This pasta tastes best served fresh, but store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Make this quick yet impressive pasta recipe for a family dinner, date night, or dinner party!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Double Batch: This one pot chicken pesto pasta can be easily doubled if you have a large family or are cooking for a crowd.
- Pesto: Use your favorite homemade pesto in place of jarred pesto in this pasta recipe.
- Tomatoes: Grape, cherry, or roma tomatoes are all delicious choices. Use what you have on hand!
Can I use homemade pesto?
You sure can! This delicious chicken pesto pasta is even better with homemade pesto. I love this basil walnut pesto recipe!
What kind of pasta works best for this recipe?
Use your favorite! I had penne on hand, but any kind works great. Use gluten free pasta if needed.
This chicken pesto pasta is bursting with flavor from simple and fresh ingredients!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 pound chicken breasts sliced and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup basil pesto
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Fresh basil and toasted baguette for serving
- In a deep skillet or shallow soup pot, cook the pasta until al dente according to the instructions on the package. Once cooked, drain the pasta and set it aside.8 ounces penne pasta
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and turn the heat to medium. Add the chicken breast pieces, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine.2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 pound chicken breasts, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Cook until the chicken is golden an no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the tomatoes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the tomatoes pop and turn a darker color. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.1 cup cherry tomatoes, 3 cloves garlic
- Pour in the broth and pesto. Stir and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until the chicken broth has reduced by half.½ cup low-sodium chicken broth, ½ cup basil pesto
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and let it melt.½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Return the chicken to the pan and stir to combine. Add the pasta and stir to combine. Serve with fresh basil and toasted baguette.Fresh basil and toasted baguette