Creamy and flavorful Pesto Chicken Skillet is loaded with fresh veggies, bright pesto, and hearty chicken breasts. Made in one pot and ready in just 30 minutes, add this Italian dinner recipe to your weeknight dinner rotation!
Pesto Chicken Breasts
This easy dinner recipe combines all of the Italian flavors we love – pesto Parmesan cheese, fresh tomatoes, white white, and more – into one simple, quick, and delicious meal.
Serve perfectly seared chicken breasts with sautéed tomatoes and asparagus, all topped with a creamy pesto sauce for an unforgettable meal.
Nothing says flavor quite like fresh basil pesto!
Why You’ll Love this Skillet Chicken Recipe:
- FANCY: While totally impressive, no one will realize how easily this pesto dinner comes together. This skillet chicken is date night and dinner party approved!
- QUICK: You only need 30 minutes to whip up this easy dinner recipe.
- FLAVORFUL: Between the pesto, fresh veggies, and seasoned chicken, there is so much flavor to love in every bite.
One pan recipes like this pesto chicken skillet are a welcome addition to the weeknight dinner rotation!
How to Make Pesto Chicken Skillet
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Combine the dry ingredients together.
- Coat both sides of each chicken breast in the flour mixture.
- Sear the chicken breasts.
- Make the pesto cream sauce.
- Add the fresh veggies.
- Let the sauce thicken.
- Serve with fresh basil.
While I love using chicken breasts in this skillet recipe, you can also use chicken thighs. Thighs take longer to cook, so adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Absolutely. Instead of white wine, use the same amount of low-sodium chicken broth.
Store leftover chicken and sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Your kitchen will smell amazing as this pesto chicken cooks!
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Choose chicken breasts that are all about the same size to ensure even cooking times.
- Half-and-half is a wonderful replacement for heavy cream. For a non-dairy alternative, try unsweetened almond milk, though the sauce won’t be as rich.
- Mix up the veggies! Use your favorites or whatever you have on hand.
Can I use homemade pesto?
Absolutely! Homemade pesto will only add more flavor to this recipe! I love this easy pesto recipe.
What other vegetables can I use?
Swap in other quick-cooking veggies like zucchini, green beans, bell peppers, kale, or spinach. Use your favorites!
What should I serve with pesto chicken?
This chicken is delicious with pasta, orzo, couscous, quinoa, fresh bread, or with a simple side salad.
Pesto chicken may look elegant, but you’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Pesto Chicken Skillet Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup diced shallots
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ pound asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces
- ⅓ cup basil pesto
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to season
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Whisk the flour, Parmesan, salt, and pepper together in a shallow bowl.½ cup all-purpose flour, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Coat both sides of each chicken breast in the flour mixture.4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Melt the butter in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and sear both sides until golden, about 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and set aside on a clean plate.4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Add the shallot to the skillet and cook until lightly golden.⅓ cup diced shallots
- Pour in the wine to deglaze the skillet. Cook until evaporated, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.½ cup white wine
- Add the tomatoes and asparagus to the skillet and cook until just tender, about 1-2 minutes.1 cup cherry tomatoes, ½ pound asparagus
- Add the pesto and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sauce slightly thickens.⅓ cup basil pesto, 1 cup heavy cream, Salt and pepper
- Add the chicken back into the skillet. Cook, until the sauce thickens and the chicken is warmed through (165°F internal temperature). Serve with fresh basil.Fresh basil
Leave a Review