Quickly get dinner on the table with this easy Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta. Ready to serve in less than 30 minutes, it’s a delicious go-to for tasty weeknight dinners.
Easy Chicken Fajita Pasta
This Mexican inspired pasta recipe is so simple to make and bursting with bold, fresh flavors. Featuring colorful bell peppers and protein-packed chicken, it’s a hearty and comforting meal your whole family will love.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Add the oil, chicken, pasta, broth, onion, garlic, and spices to the Instant Pot.
- Place the tomatoes on top.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Add the sliced peppers and close the lid.
- Mix and serve.
Can I make this pasta ahead of time?
Chicken fajita pasta is best served immediately after cooking, but leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Enjoy cold or reheat on the stovetop with a little water until warmed through.
What’s the best cut of chicken to use?
I like to use thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this Instant Pot recipe. If using chicken thighs, increase the cook time by 1-2 minutes to ensure they are fully cooked through.
What should I serve with this pasta?
This Instant Pot chicken fajita pasta is incredibly filling on it’s own! Top with favorites like sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, and lime wedges.
What kind of pasta should I use?
Any short dried pasta like penne or fusilli works great. Be sure to use dried, not fresh, pasta.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Make sure the pasta is submerged in liquid to ensure it cooks properly. If needed, add a little more chicken broth, ¼ cup at a time, to fully submerge all of the noodles.
- To avoid getting the “burn” notice, do not mix after adding the chopped tomatoes.
- Be careful when releasing the pressure immediately after cooking as quite a bit of steam has built up. Make sure you are away from the direction of the vent.
- Work quickly when mixing in the heavy cream as you do not want the heat to escape before adding the peppers. You need the pasta still very hot to ensure the peppers soften.
- For creamier pasta, add some shredded cheese along with the heavy cream.
This Instant Pot chicken fajita pasta is the perfect weeknight meal. Totally effortless and super comforting. This recipe is always a hit!
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes We Love
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- ½ pound pasta noodles
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 2 cloves cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons fajita spice
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- ¾ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 bell peppers multicolored, deseeded, and sliced
- Freshly chopped cilantro, cheese, sour cream, lime wedges, etc. for garnish
- To the Instant Pot, add the olive oil, chicken, pasta, chicken broth, onion, garlic, fajita spice, salt, and black pepper. Make sure the pasta is submerged in liquid.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 pound chicken breasts, 2 ½ cups chicken broth, 1 red onion, 2 cloves cloves, 2 tablespoons fajita spice, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ pound pasta noodles
- Add the diced tomatoes on top. Do no mix.¾ cup diced tomatoes
- Close the Instant Pot and set the valve to the seal position.
- Pressure cook on “high” for 4 minutes.
- When done, quickly release the pressure.
- Open the Instant Pot, add the heavy cream, and quickly mix well.½ cup heavy cream
- Add the sliced peppers and close the Instant Pot for a few minutes to allow the peppers to soften (you can also cook them with the pasta mixture if you want them not crispy). Mix well.3 bell peppers
- Serve with garnishes and toppings of choice.Freshly chopped cilantro, cheese, sour cream, lime wedges, etc.
- Pasta: Make sure the pasta is submerged in liquid to ensure it cooks properly. If needed, add a little more chicken broth, ¼ cup at a time, to fully submerge all of the noodles.
- Peppers: Work quickly when mixing in the heavy cream as you do not want all the heat to escape before adding the peppers. You need the pasta still very hot to ensure the peppers soften.
- Pressure Release: Be careful when releasing the pressure immediately after cooking as quite a bit of steam has built up. Make sure you are away from the direction of the vent.