Chicken spaghetti and meatballs is a meal you already know and love, but with a delicious chicken twist! This is a family favorite dinner that even the pickiest of eaters will love.
Spaghetti with Chicken Meatballs
The key to having the perfect spaghetti and meatballs is simple – make the sauce and meatballs from scratch! And don’t worry – it’s much easier than you think it is to throw this homemade dinner together.
Once you taste how incredible these homemade chicken meatballs are when tossed in the robust tomato sauce made from scratch, you’ll have a hard time ever going back to store-bought stuff again.
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe:
- Healthier alternative: Chicken meatballs are a healthier option than beef meatballs! If you’re trying to cut red meat out of your diet, this is a wonderful place to start.
- Homemade: By making both the sauce and meatballs at home, you can make sure it doesn’t have all the artificial preservatives and other junk that store-bought stuff has. Plus, it tastes SO much better!
- Kid-friendly: This recipe has the picky-eater stamp of approval. After all, what kid doesn’t love spaghetti and meatballs?! Your whole family will love this dinner.
How to make Chicken Spaghetti and Meatballs
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Preheat the oven and prepare a sheet pan.
- Stir together the ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Roll the mixture into meatballs.
- Bake the meatballs for 20 minutes.
- Sauté the onion until soft. Then, add in the garlic and crushed red pepper.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the meatballs.
- Reduce the heat.
- Cook the pasta and add it to the meatballs and sauce.
- Top with fresh parsley, and enjoy!
How long will chicken spaghetti and meatballs stay fresh?
In an airtight container in the fridge, any leftovers you have will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
To avoid the sauce drying out in the microwave, try reheating the leftovers in a saucepan on the stove over low heat. Stir often!
Can I freeze the chicken meatballs?
Yes! If you’re looking for a make-ahead recipe, these meatballs are fantastic.
Make sure the cooked meatballs are in an airtight container, like a durable zip-loc bag. In the freezer, they’ll stay fresh for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to serve them, just reheat the meatballs in the oven at 400°F for about 30 minutes.
Can I add anything else to my sauce?
While I like my sauce just the way it is, there are certainly other ingredients you can add to personalize it to your tastes.
If you like extra spicy spaghetti sauce, add some more crushed red pepper!
For a bold flavor, use a red onion. If you prefer a softer onion flavor, use a white onion instead.
Need even more garlic in your sauce? I get it! Add an extra clove and a sprinkle of garlic powder to really emphasize that flavor.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Be careful not to let the minced garlic and crushed red pepper cook in the oil for too long. Garlic has a tendency to burn pretty quickly.
- If you’d prefer your sauce to be even fresher, you can crush your own tomatoes instead of using the canned option. Just know that crushing 10-12 tomatoes takes some effort!
- Skip the crushed red pepper is you’re serving this to children. Even a little bit of spice is usually too much for them.
Once you have this deliciously simple homemade chicken spaghetti and meatballs dinner, you’ll have a hard time going back to beef meatballs!
More Italian Recipes with Chicken we love
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Meatballs and Spaghetti Recipe
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Fresh parsley for serving
- 16 oz spaghetti
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Roll the mixture into 1-inch meatballs and place on the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until the meatballs are golden and cooked through.
- While the meatballs are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add in the onion and sauté until softened and golden. Add in the garlic, crushed red pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the meatballs into the pan, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain and add to the pan with sauce and meatballs. Toss to coat, adding a little pasta water if the sauce seems dry. Top with parmesan, parsley and serve.
- You can also use ground turkey in place of ground chicken.
- If you prefer to pan fry the meatballs, warm olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, then add to sauce when ready.